Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main Jet & Other Carb Questions

Hey GSers,
    I have some questions about my carbs which I am giving a good cleaning.
    I bought a 81' GS650G with 21,000 miles on it on Monday and by Thursday 4/5 at 2:00 AM I already have the carbs out. I do have the factory service manual download and have been using.
    1. Are all of the main Jets to be the same distance from the carb body? I Ask cause looks like the previous owner didn't have one of them the same as the others. I will attach pictures.
      1. The needle jet which the main jet threads into looks to NOT be pinned in place, I can move it with my finger, I'm assuming where this should be has to do with the height of the main jet?
      2. If so, where can I find the proper height in the factory service manual and what would it be called?

2. The needle valve (probably wrong name) which is located under the base of the floats is NOT held in by anything other than the floats themselves. Other sources I've seen a spring to keep the needle in place, is it correct without a spring to keep the needle valve in place?
    3. Found what I think is an in line fuel filter? Please see pictures.
    4. Also, Im going to have to buy a micrometer for measuring the floats, any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help!!
    This is my first time tearing apart carbs and it was kinda rough getting them out of the frame but I am enjoying taking them apart.

- Justin
    Attached Files

IMG_7026.jpg
    Here is the thing that I think is a fuel filter coming out of my petcock to the carbs?

Comment

IMG_7037.jpg
      Here is the needle valve without the floats, the valve itself can just pop out

Comment

IMG_7033.jpgNeedle jet NOT pinned in place

Comment

IMG_7029.jpg
          This is the height of the rest of the jets from the carb body

Comment

IMG_7028.jpg
            Here is the jet in question which has the needle valve which is NOT pinned down and can be moved by a finger. You can see the difference in the height in this pic too.
            Thanks again everyone!

Comment

The only thing that I see that is wrong is the one main jet that is missing its brass washer.

Your one needle jet that is "not pinned" has the pin clearly visible in the notch on the left. There should be a brass washer over the end, then the main jet is screwed in. Without the washer, the main jet might be just small enough to go down the needle jet chamber, along with the needle jet.

Your float needle looks normal, why shouldn't it come out? The float holds it in place during normal operation.

Ditch that fuel filter and get some real fuel tubing. HINT: you won't find it at the local auto parts store.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                The only thing that I see that is wrong is the one main jet that is missing its brass washer.

Your one needle jet that is "not pinned" has the pin clearly visible in the notch on the left. There should be a brass washer over the end, then the main jet is screwed in. Without the washer, the main jet might be just small enough to go down the needle jet chamber, along with the needle jet.

Your float needle looks normal, why shouldn't it come out? The float holds it in place during normal operation.

Ditch that fuel filter and get some real fuel tubing. HINT: you won't find it at the local auto parts store.

Steve,

Thank you for the info about the washer and how this all goes together. This is my first time taking apart carbs so it is good to know this is all normal.

Thanks again!

Comment

Basscliff's site and my signature has a carb rebuild tutorial you might want to go through. As Steve mentions, you are missing a washer. Not sure about the float needles but make sure the spring is strong enough to hold up the float. If not, you should get new OEM float seats w/needle.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                  X