Fuel resistant gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel resistant gloves

Seeing we are constantly rebuilding or otherwise maintaining carbs from time to time, I was wondering what thin gloves such as medical gloves folks use for chemicals that wont melt on your hands. Carbs spray, brake cleaner, and Acetone are big use chems for me. Don't want any bulky crap that makes holding small parts a problem.
    Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-16-2018, 04:08 PM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    Seeing we are constantly rebuilding or otherwise maintaining carbs from time to time, I was wondering what thin gloves such as medical gloves folks use for chemicals that wont melt on your hands. Carbs spray, brake cleaner, and Acetone are big use chems for me. Don't want any bulky crap that makes holding small parts a problem.
    7 mil Nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/7-mil-...rge-68505.html
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Saw those at our local store and thought them to be too bulky for me. If I had thin surgical style gloves that would hold their own I would be in heaven.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

standard nitrile gloves. Same ones we use on ems runs

Comment

The 7 mil nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight are good. They don't last indefinitely in harsh chemicals but long enough for most projects.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

At Black Mamba Gloves and Accessories, we have tough gloves for tough jobs. The Black Mamba Glove was designed to be the toughest disposable glove on the market today. Thicker and stronger than any other black nitrile glove available, the Black Mamba Glove has 3x the puncture resistance of latex and vinyl. Order today!

This is what I use at work. They hold up well against oil, grease, gas, etc.
            Thet seem to be fairly strong as well. Good dexterity too.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Nitrile is about the most common one for resistance to gas, grease etc. It will hold up to brake cleaner and acetone but not MEK or toluene. Any vinyl or rubber surgical glove is useless when it comes to the above except grease.

I get mine at Costco, great deal and the box has 75 instead of the typical 50 pairs per box.
              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

I second (third?) The Harbor Freight nitrile gloves. Which reminds me I need to pick up some more.
                Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Saw those at our local store and thought them to be too bulky for me. If I had thin surgical style gloves that would hold their own I would be in heaven.
                  The 5 mil also works, but doesn't last and tears fairly easy. My problem is I'm a sweater and when I use gloves my hands can breath and in short time my gloves are filled.
                  GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I've found that nitrile gloves need a little time to warm up -- they do feel stiff and odd at first, but after they warm up and flex a bit, they conform to your hands pretty well and your sense of touch is not compromised much.

The HF gloves are OK, but there are premium brands that have a nice grippy texture, which gives much better traction.

If you just can't stand gloves at all, there's a barrier cream you can rub in to your hands before you start that helps sort of "fill up" your pores so that dirt and nasties don't sink in to your skin quite as badly. Not perfect, but it's helpful. It may also help to add a little extra corn starch or talc baby powder to your hands before donning gloves.

A lot of the trick to using gloves and other PPE is just getting used to it. Make yourself use it when you need to, and after a while it's second nature. It really doesn't get in the way once you adjust.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My concern was based on the carb s spray and other nasty stuff being absorbed through the skin. I hate gloves and haven't used them. May be a little late after all these years as far as any internal cancer causing build ups, but the skin on my finger sure dries and cracks and I really should have been proactive way before this.

Guess when the pain gets great enough........................

Comment

No, better late than never. Just keeping the black crap off your hands saves the handcleaner step if nothing else.
                        and I avoid the really wild miracle "concoctions" that purport to magically clean things. ...I'm in the minority apparently but paint thinner and alcohols and pipecleaners and rags and the odd welder tip cleaner do as well as most of the wizardry when it comes to how the bike runs.... What they can't "clean" probably doesn't matter.... AND Modern gas has injector cleaners and so forth in it to burn off the rest.

Comment

Nitrile gloves. Add Xylene to your list of gnarly chems and all the other gloves don't matter. Crap penetrates carb rubbers in minutes...hate to see what it does to my hands or crappy latex gloves.

Been in the Army for 20 yrs and the previous PPE comment is legit. Wear it or you'll be sad. Eye pro, gloves, long sleeves, long pants. I dont even own shorts or sandals anymore, because too many things I do without thinking will tear me to pieces.
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2018, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Can't add much about type of gloves but when it comes to dealing with dried and cracked skin, O'keffe's Working hands hand cream has worked great for me.
                            1980 GS550L

Comment

Haven't tried that yet. I'm still working thru a tube of Gold Bond lotion.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                              X