GS850 Vacuum petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Vacuum petcock

Just picked up a brand new vacuum petcock from Suzuki, OK it's a Tourmax petcock. When i took it out the box, I found that it is set to prime, vertical position. If I suck on outlet tube, nothing. If I turn it to horizontal, still nothing when I suck on outlet. Seems a bit weird.

Since it's a vacuum petcock, what happens when you suck on vacuum inlet?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Surely prime does not need vacuum?
      Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Since it's a vacuum petcock, what happens when you suck on vacuum inlet?

Comment

What is weird is you sucking on a petcock! Haha (sorry I just had to say it)
        Try this. Have your wife or girlfriend suck on the vacuum hose outlet. Then you suck on the fuel outlet and see what happens. ☺
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Ha ha, I thought that prime does not need the engine started, so as to prime carbs after a rebuild, therefore would not need vacuum.
          Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
          What is weird is you sucking on a petcock! Haha (sorry I just had to say it)
          Try this. Have your wife or girlfriend suck on the vacuum hose outlet. Then you suck on the fuel outlet and see what happens. ☺

Comment

OK, thanks to you all telling me to suck on the vac side to see what happens. I did and thought nothing had happened. But now for some reason it works only on prime but not on run without vac. So it's like it need vac first. now without vac i can suck on prime...lol

Comment

Originally posted by peterd123 View Post
              Surely prime does not need vacuum?
              Sadly this style petcock does! In prime, it needs sucking of some sort, a brief hit on starter button should suffice.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Not any more. Without any vacuum, I can now suck on prime, but not on run.
                Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                Sadly this style petcock does! In prime, it needs sucking of some sort, a brief hit on starter button should suffice.

Comment

In its original configuration, when set to RUN, vacuum applied to the vacuum port pulls the plug away from the fuel inlet, allowing fuel to flow. When vacuum stops (when the engine stops), a spring pushes the plug back into place, stopping fuel flow.

Since you have that one-year-only (thankfully) petcock, it's good to know that when you turn it to PRIme, you do need one "puff" of vacuum to pull the plug to allow fuel flow. Turning the engine over a couple of revolutions will do that for you. It will continue to flow fuel until you turn it back to RUN or it runs out of fuel.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've had a number of '80 and '81 GS1000Gs and 850Gs. They all had the same petcock, and not the crap one that is on my '80 GS1000E tank. I've had trouble with the '80 1000E petcock sticking closed even with vacuum. I have also put '82 850/1100G petcock on a '80 1000G with very little fiddling. the hose routing is weird, but those petcocks are less expensive, and seem to be easier to find.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                    X