1980 GS850 Petcock valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850 Petcock valve

The petcock on this bike is ruined. I have looked on line and I have noticed there are 2 types. One with an on/off handle and another one without. Which one should I purchase?
    Thanks
    1980 GS850
    1977 CB550
    1977 CB750
    1875 GL1000
    1980 XS1100

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
    The petcock on this bike is ruined. I have looked on line and I have noticed there are 2 types. One with an on/off handle and another one without. Which one should I purchase?
    Thanks
    Well, what does your ruined one look like....hopefully it has handle..
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Use the advanced search feature. As I remember it's the one wthout the knob.

or

Shop Hi-Tech Motorsports in Billings, Montana: Dealers for Yamaha, KTM, GasGas, Triumph, Suzuki & CFMoto. Find Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Snowmobiles & Scooters for Sale. Get Service, Parts & Financing, too. Visit our store today!

These guys helped me last time i was in town
      Last edited by Charlie G; 05-21-2018, 10:44 AM.
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

No handle on ruined one. It looks like I will need to measure mounting holes. Most on ebay say 44mm is that correct?
        1980 GS850
        1977 CB550
        1977 CB750
        1875 GL1000
        1980 XS1100

Comment

No handle on ruined one. It looks like I will need to measure mounting holes. Most on ebay say 44mm is that correct?
          You need to measure.
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

The leverless petcock is 50mm and is low profile so it clears the carbs. I suggest ordering a new one from partzilla or parts outlaw. You can get them from ebay too but I've had a bad experience on one such petcock so I can't recommend them. Oh, and don't forget to order new sealing washers and O-ring if the petcock doesn't come with a new one.

lastly, this is a very common topic and a search will easily turn up this same information and more.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks
              As others have mentioned, it depends a LOT on what the old one looked like, but there is also a difference whether you have an 850G or an 850GL. Since you did not have a handle, it appears that you have an L model. It would be nice to put that in a signature, so you don't have to remember to mention it every time you ask a question.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X