1982 Gs850 Rust in Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
    I used Metal Rescue, its not cheap but either is a non findable tank and cheaper than having it done by a mechanic. I used 3 gallons at $27/gal and moved the tank in various positions for complete coverage. Zero flashback after rinsing with water. Zero affects on anything else. Looks like brand new inside and rust has never returned. Will remove paint if there is rust under the paint, like around filler neck. But spilled on the tank causes no harm. It can be reused. I dont want any liners in my tank, only a last resort. DO NOT use Kreem. It sucks. Red-Kote and Por-15 seem to work much better. Watch this video, this is what made me use Metal rescue. I used vinegar and water and ended up with more rust than when I started, about had a anxiety attack! I could not find the concentrate like he used which would be much more user friendly.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBQX5v4FmzI
    I would have went that route myself and just derusted the tank if it werent for all the pinholes. There's no amount of derusting that'll fix holes. A permanent fix for a $35 quart of redkote, a good washing and getting as much of the rust out as you can without it having to be down to shiny metal is about as easy as it gets. I spilled a little of the redkote on our concrete carport and couldn't get it up it's still there a year later even after my attempts to clean it up along with the outside elements and car driving on it and foot traffic. It's permanent lol. There's tons of ways to get rid of rust, I've heard coca cola does a good job and does something to the metal so rust doesn't come back too. The electrolysis method seems pretty cool but it can eat your tank in no time if you don't do it right.

Comment

Received tank back from the professional mechanic and he used a product called "Caswell". He said he has used this product many times and has had the best results with no problems. So far all is doing great and the bike is running much better than when I picked it up. He suggested using only "non ethanol" fuel in the bike to protect the carburetors and stated that he has seen frequent rebuilds due to ethanol fuels. Next project is changing all fluids, brakes and adjusting valves.

Comment

Working...
      X