X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs650 bogging between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle

1981 gs650 gl

recently cleaned, put in stock jetting and reassembled carbs

bike bogging between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle but all other throttle positions are fine.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2018, 03:51 PM.

most likely the jet needle adjustment I assume???

I replaced the "old" jet needles that were in the carbs with new jet needles but the new jet needles don't have the adjustment clip(just a single position).... the ones I took out DO have the adjustment clip but might not be the right size for a stock gs650.. I'll have a look and see.

Comment

Was there something wrong with the old needles?
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Will also ask what was wrong with the stock needles.

Jetting is stock, but what about the airbox and exhaust?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

you want to keep your stock needles.....because they are adjustable...and have a 'nice' taper too......you know that. The US spec needles only have the one groove for the clip…. Easy to raise the Canadian spec needle...

As others have asked...stock air box and exhaust? History of machine?

Comment

the reason I replaced the old needles was because everything in my carburetors were stock jet sizes for a 550 carb setup... for whatever reason. I don't know what previous owners had done or experimented with lol.. having said that the only thing I didn't check the size of was the jet needles and needle jets lol but im gonna check that today. (probably an issue, mismatched jet needle and needle jet)

I replaced all the jets with gs650 carb kits and the reason I ordered the gs650 carb kits, in the first place, was because the pilot jets were mauled by someone who worked on them previously and I wanted to have some spare crap if I needed it for some reason.. but when I got the kits i compared the jet sizes and cross-referenced them with other models (thru basscliffs site) found out all my old jets fit a 550 setup so I just replaced everything besides needle jet because that didn't come with the kit.. oops(ps. the old jets are usable.. just rough shape)

the airbox and exhaust are stock.

it runs way better now than it did when I bought it - besides obviously between 1/4 to 1/2 throttle

Comment

Working...
            X