Anyone know how this petcock works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know how this petcock works?

The 1980 GS550E I recently obtained bears this vacuum petcock. Does it appear to be original?

More importantly, does anyone know how it works, i.e., how to switch it out of the reserve setting? The owner's manual says to move the lever, but the lever does not move from the pictured position. I am reluctant to exert much force, and I am used to the late 70s Suzuki petcocks, but this one has me stumped.

I have only read about those, but I believe that you rotate it counter-clockwise so the lever points DOWN.

If I remember correctly, the screw off to the side is for PRIme.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
      The 1980 GS550E I recently obtained bears this vacuum petcock. Does it appear to be original?

More importantly, does anyone know how it works, i.e., how to switch it out of the reserve setting? The owner's manual says to move the lever, but the lever does not move from the pictured position. I am reluctant to exert much force, and I am used to the late 70s Suzuki petcocks, but this one has me stumped.

I don't remember having one like that on the 550T we had but the 450S did. I'm guessing the lever is stuck and the rubber part that looks like a button or smiley face inside will probably will be hard as a rock. Well that one may not look like a smiley face, because the prime isn't part of the levers movement. I'd replace it with a normal petcock.

It appears you have a unique petcock.
      ASSEMBLIES WHERE 44300-49170 IS USED

:cool:GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
        I would agree with Steve that pointing down is the 'ON' position from the looks of the labeling. Try using a set of pliers to rock the lever back and forth to break it loose. It may take a fair amount of force to move it. I would grip with the pliers as close as possible to the pivot end of the lever to minimize the chances of breaking the lever off.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
        X