liner plugged cross over tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

liner plugged cross over tubes

Help! my new motorcyle gas tank has plugged cross over tubes. The previous owner just had the tank lined and I suspect the cros over tube connectors are plugged with liner material. Any ideas on how to unplug them? They bend at a pretty sharp 90.

What is a cross over tube?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

A crossover tube connects left bottom to right bottom of tanks that have a deep well on either side of the frame, and no fuel pickup on one side. It allows fuel to flow back to the other side to be used.

I would be surprised if any classic GS had one.

OP, what bike are you asking about, or what bike did your new tank come off? Either way, if liner material has solidified In the crissover tube you are probably hooped. To get it out without daging the rest of the liner is not likely to happen.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I know what "crossover tubes" are, but don't know of a single GS that has them.

I would suspect that the best way to fix that would be to get a proper tank.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry guys. I thought I was on the Hondatwins forum. I am working on an old Honda CD175 and it has the cross over tubes. The 1982 GS400L that I am also trying to get on road has other issue. Can't get parts for it.

Comment

I can speak from experience, there is no comparison between this forum and the Hondatwins forum.

I had the opportunity to visit HT when working on a 185 Twinstar. Let's just say that I am very happy I don't own that bike and have to use that forum for support.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve.

Comment

Wire coat hanger maybe and force it through??? Maybe even get the hanger red hot with a torch as you jam it through...kinda a melt / push method???
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-29-2018, 09:19 AM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

That might work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

depends on any bends and the sweep of them maybe. May take a bit of twisting and some good force to get a hanger to go through a curve. cant hurt to try.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

cut them off and replace with hoses
                      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Thanks for all the great ideas. I got them cleared with coat hanger. It was not liner material but steel shot blocking the tubes. I guess they used it to dislodge the rust from the tank.

Comment

Maybe they used the shot to block the tubes so the liner wouldn't plug them.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by dadroach View Post
                            Thanks for all the great ideas. I got them cleared with coat hanger. It was not liner material but steel shot blocking the tubes. I guess they used it to dislodge the rust from the tank.
                            That's a nice tidbit of information to store away. I would've thought a coat hanger too thick and inflexible to snake through there.

Probably a good thing it was steel shot in there, as that reduces the likelihood of creating a free edge where the liner coated the tubes.
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Well turns out that those blocked tubes would be the start of my problems. After careful inspection of tank before reinstalling I noticed that the liner used was peeling. It looks like POR 15. Liner failed. What a mess that is going to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X