Exhaust pop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust pop.

Just got done rebuilding all carbs,valve adjustment,one was 001 tight,one was 001 loose.carb sync and went for a 100 mile ride in 85 to 90 degree weather. Runs great pull hard to the top but still has a light pop,pop on deceleration. Very light but noticeable probably more so because of a 4 to 1 pipe. I’ve had all the jetting done by Yoshimura in 1984 and everything has been spot on till this summer. Mixture screws out 3 1/2. Too much or is it advisable to back them out anymore? Boots are perfect no cracks supple around perimeter on engine and pod side.Cannot find any obvious vacuum leaks. I see folks talking about this and setting their screws out at 1 or so. What else should I be looking for? Thanks.

Popping on decel is an indication of a lean mixture, reset your air screws. Which model are we talking about here?
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

83 1100e....

Comment

Did you disturb the exhaust gaskets? 3 1/2 turns out is about the limit before going to larger pilot jets, but if it never did it before... o rings on mixture screws still intact?
        -1980 GS1100 LT
        -1975 Honda cb750K
        -1972 Honda cl175
        - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

New exhaust gaskets done at the same time

Comment

Finally found/solved my popping troubles. When I rebuilt the carbs I forgot to put in the new mixture screw hole plastic plugs,did that and popping went away. Took a 2 hour ride at 100 degrees out ran beautifully, screws are at 2 out and I may turn them in a half, plugs are light tan, oil was at 200,hot day. Starts instantly pulled hard from stop to 9,000 in 4th and I backed out and called it good. 44 mpg. Job done.

Comment

Magic! Ride on!
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Which bit are you calling the mixture screw plastic plug?

Is that the small washer that goes on the mixture screw?

Or are you talking about the rubber plug that goes next to the main jet in the float bowl?
                Richard
                sigpic
                GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

These plugs.1E8881D5-DAAC-4C59-B3D5-5772C2F1F041.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
                    These plugs.[ATTACH=CONFIG]55998[/ATTACH]
                    Well, I do not have a 1100, but I would not have thought those plugs, or rather the absence of those plugs, could cause an air leak.

The tiny o-ring below the washer and spring on the mixture screw should be all that is required to seal at that point.
                    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
                      These plugs.[ATTACH=CONFIG]55998[/ATTACH]
                      Those plugs are the pilot jet plugs.....inside carburetor and secured in place because a snug fit and when float bowl 'pad' contacts them. Any leak at the mixture screw would be because the tiny 'o' ring that is placed on the 'pointy end' of the mixture screw....after the spring and washer are slipped on....is not sealing. defective, missing, etc. Or, there could be a mixture screw tip that has been broken off previously and is lodged in the mixture screw bore.

Canadian and European Spec GS 1100E machines did not have any type of cap covering the mixture screws.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

After riding almost daily now since the last post everything seems to be fine. Starts instantly,runs hard all the way up to hauled to jail speeds,plugs are a clean light tan,getting 44 mpg in freeway/city mixed. Rode to the last Backfire Moto in Seattle 350 mile round trip no issues. It’s as good as I can get it.

Comment

Exhaust leak is a good source of backfires on deceleration, as stated by others.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I promise you ... those plugs do not belong there.
                            Richard
                            sigpic
                            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
                            X