1100E Stock Muffler Drilled Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100E Stock Muffler Drilled Out

I have an 81 1100E with a stock exhaust on it. When I bought it, the mufflers had been drilled out at the back in 3 of the smaller holes around the center exit. I found a really nice system but it only had the right side and center pipes. I replaced the ones on the bike and used the left side that I got it with. With the one side being drilled out and the other side isn't, will this make a difference in how the motor runs? Don't really want to drill out the right side as I am still hoping to find a replacement for the left side. Opinions???
    1981 GS1100E

It seems to run really well, except not quite as smooth as I think it should be. I have not vac-sync'd the carbs yet, maybe that is what I'm feeling.
    1981 GS1100E

Comment

That last baffle with some extra holes in it I do not think will mess with the overall tune, it will sound different though, and I think the stock exhaust on this has a H-pipe that links both sides anyhow. Maybe you can get lucky and find some snap in caps that are close to hole diameter and get it close to stock while you hunt down another muffler.

Anyway, carb sync is critical and makes a world of difference on how the throttle responds. I describe it as buzzy and rough when out of sync, and smooth and responsive when in sync, quieter too. BUT do not neglect setting the valve clearances first, it is not something to overlook.
      1981 Suzuki GS250T
      1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
      1985 Suzuki GS550E
      2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Working...
      X