CV Carb Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Carb Blues

Hi Folks, new member here. I know that this forum is for the much cooler "earlier" GS bikes not for the early 2000 GS500 I have but I'm hoping that you can help me with a carb problem I have. Bike is stock with stock pipes and airbox, clean filter, stock jets and needle, etc.

I’m a relaxed driver and hardly ever use WOT, however recently I had to drop a gear and go WOT to overtake a particularly annoying driver who was on their phone. However, as I got alongside the bike stumbled a few times accelerating between 6 and 7 k RPM so I had to abandon the overtake. Got quite a fright.

I have since managed to do this repeatable in testing afterwards on a quiet uphill back road. I can be in any gear and one can feel power drop out a few times when accelerating through 6-7k RPM. Stumble is almost non-existent if I close the throttle a little from WOT. Stumble is worse if under load (going uphill). Bike also seems to have more power if I close the throttle a little from WOT at various RPMs. Bike pulls strongly from 7 k rpm up to redline.

I understand the CV theory quite well but not how it plays out in practice. I am trying to understand two clues to decide to go leaner or richer (or something else) to try to attack this ( I don’t think it’s ignition as I can accelerate through that some RPM range no problem if the throttle is closed a bit from WOT). I understand that at the mid-RPM range where this problem is occuring I will be on the needle/needle jet range no matter where the throttle is, so the problem is probably their.

Clue 1: Closing throttle from WOT gives more power
    I’m struggling to picture exactly what happens in the carb when this occurs - is the mixture;
    - Getting richer due to the butterfly restricting the air a little or
    - Getting leaner due to the butterfly restriction causing the pressure to drop and dropping the needle, closing the needle valve or
    - None of the above

Clue 2: Stumble is much worse if I restrict the air intake a little
    I placed some tape over the air filter intake at the airbox (covering maybe 5 to 10 % of the intake area) and in a test the flat spot had grown to cover almost a three times larger range (from about 5k up to 8 k RPM). I thought (thinking along my experience with “regular” slide carbs) that this meant that the "enhanced" flat spot was from being too rich as restricting the air means more gas in the mixture.

However, thinking in CV carb terms It might be that the restriction = less air and hence less air velocity at the slide which leads to lower vacuum at the venturi (Bernoulli). This, in turn, leads to lower slide/needle and hence less gas (leaner).

Currently, I'm working on the hypothesis that it's running too rich and will try to drop the needle to see if that helps.

Some research has indicated that another possibility is that the slide/diaphragm spring has gotten weak (can that happen?) and so the slide height for any given vacuum is too high? Also there is talk of opening or reducing the size of the vacuum channel in the slide to improve response but I don’t think this is relevant as I understand that this improves how fast the slide gets to equilibrium height, but does not affect the height achieved at that point, so I don’t think this is relevant.

Any advice is greatly appreciated (apologies for the long first post!)

Thanks

BMF

If you rapidly twist the grip they can stumble a bit and need to catch up. And if you take the air filter completely out how does it act??? May be that some gunk got stuck in the air jet which is in the front of the carb throat???? Those diaprams are 18 years old and rubber doesnt stay like day 1 forever. And the slides wear against the carb bodies...look for wear marks on the slides and replace any slides with grooves worn into them. Just a few things i can think of off the top of my head right now.
    Last edited by chuck hahn; 08-27-2018, 01:47 PM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

This guys suggests going up to a 40# from a 37.5# on the pilot jet.
      Lots of info in that thread.
      Fixing Common GS500 Carburetor Issues There are (at least) four main things that routinely cause the 20+ year old carbs on a GS500 to b...

Welcome to the site, BMF.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
      X