Petcock issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock issue

My petcock has been having issues and not working correctly. I ordered a rebuild kit and pulled it apart and I think I must be missing something. Is there a ball bearing or something that actuates the valve? I see the spring that is inserted down inside but I dont see how that can push the valve open when set to 'prime'.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2018, 02:05 PM.

Bury it...rebuild kits have a poor record of success. Just get new oem style something like this guy sells. Or visit a suxuki dealer

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yeah thats what I figured. Do you know if the ones at that site are any good? There are a few on ebay for like $20 but they have sh#$ reviews.

Comment

Go OEM or Pingel. They cost more than rebuild kits or used Ebay parts (or new parts of questionable origin) but you know itll work.

Comment

Originally posted by last337 View Post
          Yeah thats what I figured. Do you know if the ones at that site are any good? There are a few on ebay for like $20 but they have sh#$ reviews.
          I bought one 7 years ago from him..still works good. Likely same japanese manufacturer as the suzuki part. Avoid the chinese knockoffs.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            I bought one 7 years ago from him..still works good. Likely same japanese manufacturer as the suzuki part. Avoid the chinese knockoffs.
            Aye, Japanese knock off are a bit closer to what you need instead of what you want whether that be quality, price or in your hands fast.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
              Go OEM or Pingel.
              Given those two choices, I would definitely go OEM.

I have not seen a Pingel that was vacuum operated, and I know that I would forget to turn it either ON or OFF, as appropriate.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Given those two choices, I would definitely go OEM.

I have not seen a Pingel that was vacuum operated, and I know that I would forget to turn it either ON or OFF, as appropriate.

They exist but they ain't cheap. NOrth of 200 dollars not cheap

Pingel vacuum operated fuel valves have the highest fuel flow of any vacuum style fuel valve on the market. It uses the same safety feature as an OEM valve - when left in the on position and the motor is off the fuel alve will shut off as well.

I've left my Pingel off a few times but it flows so much fuel flipping it to On when the bike starts to stutter results in very quick recovery. I have yet to leave it in the On position(knock on wood) because I've dumped enough gas on the floor of the garage with an old Bandit and the GS many times. That being said the OEM valve isn't that expensive when you're talking about having a properly functioning valve which is a necessity unless you want your cylinders and oil full of fuel.

Comment

Working...
                X