1983 gs1100g "l"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs1100g "l"

The bike hasn't been ridden or started since May 2018. When I started it, it only runs with full to partial "choke". When throttle is applied, bike dies/sputters. Old gas? It did have fuel additive in it, but not fresh gas.

I have a buyer who really wants to buy the bike. I'd just like to tell him what the problem might be.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?

Bob Young
    berdookid56@gmail.co

Originally posted by Bob Young View Post
    The bike hasn't been ridden or started since May 2018. When I started it, it only runs with full to partial "choke". When throttle is applied, bike dies/sputters. Old gas? It did have fuel additive in it, but not fresh gas.

I have a buyer who really wants to buy the bike. I'd just like to tell him what the problem might be.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?

Bob Young
    berdookid56@gmail.co
    It could be bad gas, but I'm thinking if it wasn't non-ethanol then you may have water at the bottom of the bowls and tank. Try draining the tank and all four bowls and see what happens. It that doesn't do the trick, the pilot jets may have clogged up.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

If the bike is not at least partially-warmed up, adding any throttle while it is on "choke" will defeat the purpose of the "choke".

That is because these bikes don't have a plate that chokes the intake to provide a richer mixture, they have a separate "enrichment" circuit, and it is defeated if the throttle is turned AT ALL while it is in use.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        If the bike is not at least partially-warmed up, adding any throttle while it is on "choke" will defeat the purpose of the "choke".

That is because these bikes don't have a plate that chokes the intake to provide a richer mixture, they have a separate "enrichment" circuit, and it is defeated if the throttle is turned AT ALL while it is in use.

Good point....
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
        X