Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox boots no longer fit to the carbs

Hi everyone,

I've noticed some irregular performance and warm-up characteristics on my bike, and immediately suspected air leak issues. The hoses to the carbs are all fine, the filter to airbox seal is tight, and the carb to intake boots look in great shape. However, from the airbox to the carbs, the boots are slipping off. #1 is on tight, #2 is OK, #3 is slipping, and #4 practically had an air gap. I've tried loosing the clamps, pushing the airbox forward to get the boots to fully seat on the carb, but as soon as I start tightening the clamp, the boot starts to slip off.

It feels like either A) the end of the boot is warped and will never get a good grip on the carb, or B) the boots are too short.

I've noticed that the boots are not sold as individual components, nor are they listed as their own component on suzukipartshouse. I've found this link on Z1: https://www.z1enterprises.com/airbox...-gl-80-81.html

As far as I can tell from looking at the two parts diagrams, these should be identical to my -E airbox hoses. Am I barking up the right tree?

Thanks!

Looking at this parts diagram, these "hoses" seem to have a ring in them, probably to keep them from collapsing when you tighten them..or am I missing something?

Shop online for OEM Air Cleaner parts that fit your 1980 Suzuki GS1000E, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes, on the carb side, the boots have a flat grooved surface where the hose clamp is designed to grip. On the airbox side, it just fits snug inside the cutouts of the airbox.

Comment

On my GS450 I have to pull the battery out to get the airbox into the right position to mate up to the carbs the right way. It could be that there's something keeping the airbox and boots from lining up right, just a thought
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
          On my GS450 I have to pull the battery out to get the airbox into the right position to mate up to the carbs the right way. It could be that there's something keeping the airbox and boots from lining up right, just a thought
          Doesn't really work like that on the 1000E, the airbox is well forward and under the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by StratJeff View Post
            Yes, on the carb side, the boots have a flat grooved surface where the hose clamp is designed to grip. On the airbox side, it just fits snug inside the cutouts of the airbox.
            The "ring", item #3 forces the boot tight against the airbox, it keeps it there.

As LAB3 says, remove the filter box, I also remove all bolts holding the airbox. It makes it way easier to get it attached to the carbs.

Your boots may also be hard from age, new ones may be in order. The airbox can be a challenge to get on sometimes!

The boots are item#2, hose outlet, only $10 ea!
            Last edited by Fjbj40; 09-11-2018, 07:57 PM.
            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
              The "ring", item #3 forces the boot tight against the airbox, it keeps it there.

As LAB3 says, remove the filter box, I also remove all bolts holding the airbox. It makes it way easier to get it attached to the carbs.

Your boots may also be hard from age, new ones may be in order. The airbox can be a challenge to get on sometimes!

The boots are item#2, hose outlet, only $10 ea!
              Ok, I see you are talking about a 1000g and not the E, you never said that!

https://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts...e2/air-cleaner look here for them, item #11 and 12. No rings though, I know the 1100 GL has the rings.
              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Sorry to hjack this thread, but...:

Confused over airbox boot & intake manifold P/Ns for the '78 GS750. Does this bike use the same P/N respectfully across all four carbs, or are there significant LH & RH parts (such as on the the GS850 for example)? I've seen the microfiche scans on line and all indicating one P/N per port x4, but I lack trust in their accuracy over the years as vendors might tweak them in their favor to unload surplus stock & such. And of the two airbox reseal tutorials I've found here, they specify LH & RH components at both front & rear of the airbox-bike model unclear. Insight appreciated. TIA.
                '78 GS750E (currently undergoing TLC).

Comment

No worries, no conspiracy

The VM carbed bikes, like yours, tend to use the same boots on both sides, because the carbs are smaller one n width.

The BS carbs are wider, so the boots need a bit of angling to align
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Ahhhh, I get it now! I was tryin' to wrap my head around the idea that larger displacement caused the carb mounting schemes to widen (?!?). Never considered the VM vs. CV format differences. Thanks for setting me straight, Big T!!
                    '78 GS750E (currently undergoing TLC).

Comment

If its a plastic airbox what happens is the heat eventuallu causes the front of the box to flex inward and the boots draw themselves off the carbs. I use a heat gun and a hammer handle to reset the face so its curved slightly toward the engine. Heat the plastic and shove the handle in and push the face out..hold till the plastic cools and the face is reset. Boots now will fit good.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X