Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs1000e

I have installed a set of stock Sukuki gs1100 pistons
    The bike only has 12,000km and had been sitting for many years and had no compression hence the big bore kit
    The bike idles great, valves are set but when I get the bike under load it runs very poorly
    I have installed new dyno coils as well
    I used a carb kit from Parts N More
    should I increase the main jet size if so, any thoughts

thanks Robert 6

While you're waiting for the big guys to show up, tell us more....airbox/filter setup? main jet size? do you still have most of the original jetting?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes it is the stock airbox with a K & N filter, stock exhaust
      The bike is show room perfect , the #3 exhaust pipe has some blueing which to me is very weird, I have owned several GS bikes, currently I have a 1982 GS1100K , my 1979 GS850 which I put 130,000 km on had perfect pipes
      I have the original jets , as to the size of the jets in the rebuild kit I have no idea
      I will be pulling the carbs in the near future as I have lots of spark
      the timing is adjusted and it after market electronic pickup

thank for the reply

Comment

Welcome to the site, Robert.
        When you do take the carbs off to check the jet sizes make sure you do a proper in-depth cleaning.
        A great tutorial here. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...rb_rebuild.pdf

Lots of B.C. members on the site. Maybe somebody close-by.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Did you clean the carb bodies?
          Rebuild kits are generally crap, so I hope you saved your original parts
          #3 bluing is from an air leak, do you have that vacuum line connected to the petcock, or capped?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The Vacuum tube is connected to the petcock
            this happened prior to me buying it
            Yes I have the stock parts, I think I will reinstall, and I did clean the carb bodies , I maybe put them in a pan of carb cleaner then blow them out again, I was fussy the first time but maybe not enough , though I do suffer from "terminal fussy little man syndrome"
            I will change the rubber O rings on the intake manifolds just to make sure
            Do you think I have to increase the jet size due to the extra 100cc of displacement
            thanks in advance for your help

R6

Comment

I live in Aldergrove BC as you know and there are a few GS guys out in the valley

thanks again

Comment

Just about any of the carburetor dips will work fine. I have been using what they sell at NAPA. It requires a 24hr. soak with the rack torn down, no rubber parts, which are very few on VM carburetors anyway. Robert Barr sells the 0-rings at a very reasonable cost (http://www.cycleorings.com/). With a bike that age I would replace the boots from the carburetors to the head (not so reasonable but probably necessary).
                Last edited by OldVet66; 09-12-2018, 10:41 PM.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                X