Wrong GS550 Carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong GS550 Carbs?

I have a gs550 engine with a 650 top end, the issue I am dealing with is that carbs don't line up with the intake rubber boots at this point I don't know if these are the correct carbs or not. As you can see in the attachment that the two right carbs are in the boots and the two left stick out too much to even try and wiggle in there.
    Attached Files

Where did you get these carbs,do you know what they came off of? The carb centerline spacing is different on the big boys
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I think those two boots need to be rotated. Do you see the L on top of them when looking down at them?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        I think those two boots need to be rotated. Do you see the L on top of them when looking down at them?
        I think the rotation is fine.
        I can see the vacuum port screws in the proper orientation.

Might check the two boots on the other side, to be sure.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

swap boots left and right
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic
          1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

I swapped them on Craigslist for some VM28s the guy said they came off an on 1980 gs550 that he parted out but now that I think about it it could've been a 750 or a 850 who knows..., and the boots are in correct order the ones with the L are on the left and R on the right. If anyone has a legit set of carbs for my application I'll be happy to take them off your hands.

Comment

I'd sell your newly acquired carbs and try to find a 650 rack, maybe junk yard ,etc. - this will make your life simpler.There is a $200 item on ebay . Or look for a parts bike in your area... All these carbs would need the full monty clean with new o-rings
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Those look like some sort of Kawasaki carbs (pull knob choke). As tom alludes they are (very) dirty too. Good luck getting the bike to run with those. Did you open them up to check the jetting even?
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Crissy View Post
                  I swapped them on Craigslist for some VM28s the guy said they came off an on 1980 gs550 that he parted out ...
                  I think VM28s are WAY too big for your bike. If I remember correctly, the early 550s that came with VM carbs had VM22s. The 750s, 850s and 1000s came with VM26s, and you are trying to put 28s on a 550?

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I think VM28s are WAY too big for your bike. If I remember correctly, the early 550s that came with VM carbs had VM22s. The 750s, 850s and 1000s came with VM26s, and you are trying to put 28s on a 550?

OP left out punctuation which is confusing you (us).
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Could be, but I can only base my opinion on what I read.

If it's not written well, I can't read it so well.

If I can't read it well, who knows what advice will be given.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I will definitely look into the ones on eBay, that was a mistake of mine I did mean to say VM22s my bad newbies f*^k up

Comment

Hey, everybody makes mistakes eventually.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

To OP...I stumbled across this item..would be correct carb mounting/spacing for the 650 and get you started on your journey...then you'd need the 650 jetting stuff

THIS IS A USED MIKUNI CARB PARTS LOT FROM A 1982 GS650G MODLE Z MOTORCYCLE. IT IS IN GOOD WORKING CONDITION. IT WILL FIT GS650 81-83 THEY MAY ALSO FIT OTHER MIKUNI CARBS. YOU GET WHATS IN PHOTO.
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                            X