long lasting original pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long lasting original pipes

is there anything out there that may be run as an additive that would coat the inside of original exhaust systems, have thought about a minute amount of two stroke oil as older two strokes never really rusted from the inside?

The best "additive" is fresh petrol, liberally heated to about 980° C for generous amounts of time.

In other words, just go for a ride. The biggest reason for rusting from the inside is starting the engine and not riding. There is no way to safely get the engine and exhaust up to full operating temperature sitting in a shed, and full operating temperature is what it takes to ensure there is no condensation left inside to start rusting.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep, what Steve said. Ride it regularly and the exhaust will last forever.

My GS850G has somewhere around 135,000 miles (speedo issues...bah), and there's no sign of corrosion in or on the pipes. The collector underneath has some surface rust, but is quite solid.

Suzuki was really the first to get this right and make high-quality double wall exhaust systems; the other manufacturers of the time cheaped out on the exhausts and so original exhaust systems are now quite rare. But there are lots of Suzukis still running around with their original systems.

If you're hanging a system on the wall to keep for later, then yeah, some 2-cycle oil couldn't hurt. But it also might not be all that necessary unless it's unavoidably humid in the storage area.
      Last edited by bwringer; 09-22-2018, 11:35 AM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i have about twenty bikes and don't have the luxury of time to ride them as often as i'd like... hence the query

Comment

Working...
        X