vm26 mystery spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vm26 mystery spring

I've got stock Mikuni VM26 carburetors on my 1978 GS750. I washed the carbs and the carb rack in Simple Green, and I found a spring in the cleaning bucket. It's 6.25 mm o.d. and about 10.30 mm long, very stiff. The ends of the spring are ground flat. One end is shiny, the other end is a bit corroded. The spring looks like it belongs on the carb rack somewhere, but (I think) all the carb rack springs are present and accounted for. I've looked at an exploded view of VM26 carbs, as well as the list of parts, and I don't see this spring listed. There are three springs located at the center of the carb rack where the throttle cables connect. All three are in place. I also have the choke lever tension spring and the big throttle return spring. I'm not sure where this spring came from.
    NB -- I also washed the bike's airbox in the bucket, as well as the parts from a spare GS750 front fork. Nothing else.0925181540a.jpg
    K.

1978 GS750E
    1981 KZ440D

How about the idle adjuster screw, that has a stiff spring on it.
    63 on the parts fiche
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Here's a photo with the three springs at the center of the carb rack. Idle adjuster spring is in place.0925181603a.jpg
      K.

1978 GS750E
      1981 KZ440D

Comment

Air mixture screw spring from a carb?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Nope. Air pilot screw springs are accounted for. This spring looks like it would sit inside a cylindrical bore somewhere on the carb rack or somewhere else. I thought it might be part of a throttle stop screw assembly, but I have those springs in place. I appreciate all ideas. Thanks.
          K.

1978 GS750E
          1981 KZ440D

Comment

It's quite possible that somebody has worked on the carbs before. In the process, they lost a spring. Since they couldn't find it, they got another one and went riding. Now that you have cleaned the carbs and moved them into a few different positions in the process of cleaning them, the spring has become dislodged from its hiding place.

Of course, this is just wild speculation, because that sort of thing NEVER happens to ANYONE.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This?

1978 GS750E (barn find and current project)
              1997 Electra Glide
              1983 Goldwing

Comment

Jhurt -- Nope, I've got that spring in its place. I thought about that spring too, because it's close in size and sits inside a bore. I took it out and compared the two springs. It's a bit wider and longer than the mystery spring. But thank you for thinking about this.

Steve -- I bought the bike in autumn 2015, a basket case. I assembled these carbs from a box of two sets of VM26s. I examined every part with a magnifying glass, checking jet sizes and carb body numbers, needle positions, etc.
                But maybe you're right -- maybe a spring fell out of something else recently and lodged itself among the carbs. I can't imagine where it could have come from, but it's too big to be a pilot screw spring, and I can't find a place for it on the rack.
                Thanks for helping.
                K.

1978 GS750E
                1981 KZ440D

Comment

How about the spring that holds tension on the choke lever?
                  The current garage:
                  1978 GS750
                  1975 GT750M
                  1984 CB700SC
                  1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo
                  1975 RD250 - 350 conversion

Comment

That screw looks like the one on the gang plate that puts tension on a lever arm in the cable holder bracket.

carb spring.jpg
                    Last edited by Nessism; 09-27-2018, 02:56 PM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Nope and nope. All those springs are in place. I put the carbs back on today. Runs great. I guess I'll never know where that mystery spring came from. Thanks to everyone for helping.
                      K.

1978 GS750E
                      1981 KZ440D

Comment

Mount it on a small piece of stained oregon, and label it "The Spring That Never Came Home".

Cheers, Andy

Current bikes... 78 GS750E, 72 CB500K1
                        Previously owned...
                        01 VFR800Fi, 67 Honda Sports 90
                        71 Yamaha 175 CT2, 73 Yamaha RD250 (great bike!), 79 Yamaha XT250T
                        75 Kawasaki KX125 (little screamer!)
                        BMW R65, BMW R80, BMW R100LT

Comment

Looks like the spring for the throttle pulley stop screw. Only a few loops and the loops looks like they've been pulled apart somewhat. No other spring on those carbs look like that.
                          Steve is right in thinking a previous owner lost the spring and it somehow got stuck somewhere.
                          That screw should be adjusted so when the slides are fully open, the bottom of the slides (front of the slide) should be 0.5 to 1mm above the main bore.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                          X