Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Filter Chamber

Hey gang,

I'm working on rebuilding a 1981 GS750E that was given to me by a friend...

Today I realized that the bike doesn't have the "Air Filter Chamber" (13700-49810) that is usually under the seat.

I can't find and online parts dealers that have it in stock, and can't find it on ebay.

What is the best economical solution in this scenario???

Thx!

Originally posted by Revbsclark View Post
    What is the best economical solution in this scenario???
    The reason it is not in stock anywhere is that part has been discontinued. Unless you can find a used one on fleabay or elsewhere you are stuffed. Does the bike have pod filters in place of the airbox or something else? If you still have the plenum chamber that mounts to the carbs you can install a single large K&N filter to the backside of the plenum and then jet to suit or buy a set of pod filters, replace the plenum with them and jet to suit.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Put a request in the Parts Wanted forum
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That part fits more than one GS model. The part number has rolled too. It might help if you expanded your search to include other models too. Failing finding the proper box, or maybe as an interim fix, I've heard of guys clamping a large K&N to the end of the other box. Your jetting will need some tuning but it's not as much as using pods.
        Last edited by Nessism; 09-29-2018, 09:01 AM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Failing finding the proper box, or maybe as an interim fix, I've heard of guys clamping a large K&N to the end of the other box. Your jetting will need some tuning but it's not as much as using pods.
          My 1100E had that set up when I bought it. Jetting was about midway between stock and the APE pods I have on now.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Failing finding the proper box, or maybe as an interim fix, I've heard of guys clamping a large K&N to the end of the other box. Your jetting will need some tuning but it's not as much as using pods.
            Does anyone have a K&N part number and an example (maybe photos) of how to make a secure connection?

Comment

Originally posted by Revbsclark View Post
              Does anyone have a K&N part number and an example (maybe photos) of how to make a secure connection?
              You can see the single filter in this pic:

On the 1100E there is a single round passage from the air filter chamber forward into the carb plenum. The filter clamps onto the lip of that round opening with a hose clamp in place of the rear chamber. On my bike the filter was K&N #B035B4. If you look that number up you will see the filter dimensions and what size opening it is meant for; you can adjust to suit your bike from there. Realize that this will require rejetting. Your best approach to that is to get a Dynojet stage 3 kit and work from there.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
              X