GS750 V&H pipe installation issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 V&H pipe installation issues...

Bought a V&H 4:1 pipe for my 1978 GS750 about 8 years ago (standard full system,not the drag pipe). Sadly just got around to installing it (I know,right?). Unfortunately, while the header section fit easily, the megaphone will not line up with the original pipe mount on the right side-the hole in the megaphone bracket is about 2 inches aft of where it needs to be. The triangular frame loop that the original right side exhaust mounted to (as well as the passenger peg on that side) interferes with the installation such that the megaphone looking a bit funny and will likely decrease ground clearance. The megaphone didn't seem like it would be compatible with the center stand either-my first though was that even if I make a little tab to connect the bracket to the frame, I'd still need to cut that loop off the frame (which seems a bit extreme at this point since that would eliminate the apparent intended mounting point as well). Is this a common problem? I've followed the admittedly scant directions and can think of no solutions. Internet searches have shown the odd complaints that the V&H logo was upside down on otherwise easily fitted pipes but I don't think that's my issue (I'm not putting the meg on upside down). My GS resources search mentions no issues with V&H pipe installations (that i've found) either.

It occurs to me then that Dennis Kirk probably sent me the wrong pipe, however I'm unsure of how to identify the model (paper work and email receipts long gone). Does anyone know if is there a number or code stamped on it somewhere or other method for ID-ing the model so I can sell it? rumor has it calling V&H isn't super helpful...

Oh...and before it comes to that, does anyone have a useful photo of a successfully installed V&H pipe on a 2 valve 750? My recent google searches show such photos to be vanishingly rare.

TIA,
    -Willycrash
    Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2018, 02:01 AM.

called V&H to see f they could ID this pipe which is probably not for my GS750...sadly, the millennial (or worse, a millennial Harley rider?) who answered the phone told me that "we wouldn't have any information on an a bike that old." I suggested that the pipe was still for sale online from multiple sources. He said "must be old stock." I said "your website still shows the pipe as in stock. "He replied..."Oh"...and then " looking at the catalog it looks like we still have 80 or 90 of them...must be leftovers." Eventually we were able to ascertain that the dot matrix number on the muffler flange for the 1977-1979 GS750 should be S545RC while the muffler for the pipe Dennis Kirk sold me for that bike is marked S505RC (RC for Russ Collins?). Further inquiry into the possibility that it might fit some other Suzuki of the era was met with the same "we wouldn't have information for a bike that old" circular logic although before I gave up in defeat we were able to determine that a 1978 GS1000 muffler would have been marked S520RC. AAARG!

Comment

After doing some searching the S505RC is the PN for the '84-87 GSX1100.
      :cool:GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Wow!

8 years till install? You are making me feel good.

I bought my V&H/4-1 pipes back in early 2014 and had them installed within a couple of weeks of their arrival. Fortunately for me, Mr Bill was eager to help me install the pipes as well as progressive rear shocks. Changing out the main jets was also done which made the pipes operate correctly.

Sounds like talking to millennials has been challenging. Hopefully, you get things resolved and move forward with your new pipes!

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

"After doing some searching the S505RC is the PN for the '84-87 GSX1100.
          http://motospeed.com/vhr/VHR-megafon...87-50.0.1525.2"

gsrick, you rock! thanks so much. looking at V&H's site I was only seeing part numbers for the complete systems. I'm wondering if the header section is correct and I just got the wrong can since the header fits well (although it seems to hang low enough below the motor that I have to wonder if the front wheel might hit it under full fork compression). I clearly need to sell this thing to someone and buy the correct pipe, and at least i'm a bit clearer on who to sell it to.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

yeah...I'm a little slow sometimes. the stock pipes finally got a rust hole in one side and one of the vintage S&W shock started sticking in the compressed position so had to actually do some work on an otherwise very reliable, nearly stock machine. in my defense my two MX bikes, my touring bike and my track bike plus another project or two kept me pretty busy over that 8 years

Comment

Originally posted by willycrash View Post
              called V&H to see f they could ID this pipe which is probably not for my GS750...sadly, the millennial (or worse, a millennial Harley rider?) who answered the phone told me that "we wouldn't have any information on an a bike that old." I suggested that the pipe was still for sale online from multiple sources. He said "must be old stock." I said "your website still shows the pipe as in stock. "He replied..."Oh"...and then " looking at the catalog it looks like we still have 80 or 90 of them...must be leftovers." Eventually we were able to ascertain that the dot matrix number on the muffler flange for the 1977-1979 GS750 should be S545RC while the muffler for the pipe Dennis Kirk sold me for that bike is marked S505RC (RC for Russ Collins?). Further inquiry into the possibility that it might fit some other Suzuki of the era was met with the same "we wouldn't have information for a bike that old" circular logic although before I gave up in defeat we were able to determine that a 1978 GS1000 muffler would have been marked S520RC. AAARG!
              I have a RC pipe on my 80 GS750E. Still on it too, 30 some years old.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I think with a lot of the older V&H stuff the only difference is an add-on bracket to allow you to fit the muffler to the frame. Make your own... that's what I've done a few times.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

"I think with a lot of the older V&H stuff the only difference is an add-on bracket to allow you to fit the muffler to the frame. Make your own... that's what I've done a few times."

I've looked at doing that but I'm pretty sure it's gonna fit a little weird no matter what I do. it actually seems to be the most tucked in if I rotate the megaphone a bit and line up the center stand stop bracket for making a attachment strap instead of the actual mounting flange. Otherwise, cutting a bit off the down river side of the header looks like it might be helpful....or I could cut off the part of the frame that holds passenger peg and make the Steve Mclaughlin replica i've always wanted . because the head pipe does seem to hang low and forward of what I'd expect and since I've been wanting stiffer fork springs,
                  I'm going to order some and while I have the old springs out, I'll drop the front end and make sure the front wheel doesn't touch the head pipe before I do any permanent mods to the bike or megaphone.

Comment

Get some 1/8 inch thick X 1 inch wide cold rolled steel from Home Depot and make hanger adjusters...
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I have successfully installed my pipes on a 16V/750 (T). It lined up perfect on the rear foot pegs slot. The set up came with a metal piece to keep the center stand from hitting the chain.

Did you happen to take any pictures?

Ed
                      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-04-2018, 12:14 PM.
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

V&H Pipes!

I hope you don't mind pics of my set-up...

You can also view my thread here if interested starting at post 132:

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Get some 1/8 inch thick X 1 inch wide cold rolled steel from Home Depot and make hanger adjusters...
                          looking at the above pictures of the 16Valve bike and pics from the catalog it would appear that my megaphone lacks the second weld that changes the angle (after the weld at the flange end flange) that helps tuck the pipe in. the GS1100 meg that Dennis Kirk sent w/ the header simply won't work without reducing ground clearance (and looking really dumb). As I mentioned below, it might work if I cut off the part of the frame that the right passenger peg and pipe are supposed to be attacked to. Not gonna do it! not coming up with a domestic (US) purveyor that sells just the meg but will take some sedatives, meditate for a bit and then try calling the twits that answer the phone at V&H and see if they will sell me just the correct megaphone rather than a whole new system (ebay shows no used megs for my bike either).

Comment

Working...
                          X