Rubber plugs that cover small jet in carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber plugs that cover small jet in carb

I was cleaning my carburetors and found the rubber plugs that cover the small jets had turned to jello. I bought them off e-bay,They have been installed a year or so. I use no fuel additive. Poor quality, or ate by gas.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Yes and probably yes.
    I used these with no problems.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Please out the supplier so others can know the parts are to be avoided.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Please out the supplier so others can know the parts are to be avoided.
        I don't remember the supplier, to long ago. But they were cheap. On e-bay around 10$ shipped I think. Plugs from Z1 were going to be about 20$ with shipping and bikebandit was a little more. I thought I got a steal on them. Now they are swollen up and are somewhere between Gummy bear and jello.
        [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Yes and probably yes.
          I used these with no problems.
          https://www.z1enterprises.com/carb-r...ge-plug-5.html
          Yes I'm going with Z1 this time. Thanks
          [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

My 82 GS450t isn't listed, is this something that should be in there? Yes, I've uncapped my pilot screws when I cleaned the carb last winter.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
              My 82 GS450t isn't listed, is this something that should be in there? Yes, I've uncapped my pilot screws when I cleaned the carb last winter.
              I don,t know what kind of Carbs you have. But, if you take the float bowl off on the Mikuni BS34 constant velocity carb. There is a emulation tube with a Main Jet screwed on it, you will see the big jet and right there. Then right next to it you should see the rubber plug it covers a smaller jet down inside. Black Rubber can't miss it if it has one.
              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

I just looked at Z1enterprizes there is a plug there for a bunch of GS450s part# 100-1325. For $ 2.25 I did not see a specific GS450t many other letters of the alphabet were there. So someone else might know. Is the bike running good without it?
                [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
                  I just looked at Z1enterprizes there is a plug there for a bunch of GS450s part# 100-1325. For $ 2.25 I did not see a specific GS450t many other letters of the alphabet were there. So someone else might know. Is the bike running good without it?
                  My bike has the bs34ss carbs on it, I've not seen the plug in there but that doesn't mean that one belongs there. Guess I was thinking the plug you mentioned went on the outside where the pilot screws are when I saw this question.

Comment

Just did a cross reference if the oem part number and looked it up on the parts fische. Sure enough, mine does not have that plug.

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
                      I don't remember the supplier, to long ago. But they were cheap. On e-bay around 10$ shipped I think. Plugs from Z1 were going to be about 20$ with shipping and bikebandit was a little more. I thought I got a steal on them. Now they are swollen up and are somewhere between Gummy bear and jello.
                      Just check your purchase history on ebay.
                      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

I have a GS1100 that has those plugs over the pilot jets too. I replaced them when I did the rebuild and they immediately started dissolving and plugging up my pilot jets within days. Are those plugs needed? What do they do?

Thanks,
                        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by mach1970 View Post
                          Are those plugs needed? What do they do?
                          Not only are they needed, they are rather critical.

Look in the carb and compare it with the picture below. The pilot jet is directly over the plug. The pilot jet gets its fuel from that diagonal passage that goes from just above the rubber plug, over to just above the main jet, meaning that ALL fuel used by the carb (except for the starter circuit) goes through the main jet first. If the plug is not there, there are two openings for the needle circuit: one through the main jet and the unrestricted diagonal passage. You need the rubber plug to allow fuel to only flow through the main jet.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I used Suzuki parts back in `99. I stripped the carbs about three years ago to install the O ring kit. The plugs were fine and reused.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                            X