Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 GS750L project - PO had the carb vents blocked on #3 and #4 - for some reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS750L project - PO had the carb vents blocked on #3 and #4 - for some reason

PO had the carb vents on #3 and #4 blocked on my 1979 GS750L project, wondering what effect that would have? the bike ran pretty well on it's three very short test runs, although mix appeared perfect on #1 and rich on the remainder. bike is up for winter storage so carb tuning will have to wait.

but i am curious as to the effect of the blocked vent tubes? lines were attached to the vent nipples on #3 and #4, then blocked with a plastic plug. items "C" and "D" on pic.

resized.again.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 10-29-2018, 09:10 PM.

To help clear things up, A&D are the vents. C is the vacuum port for the petcock

A&D should have hoses running up over the air box and down the back
    C should connect to the petcock, or be capped
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Big T is probably correct, but it's hard to tell with a small picture.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thx mr t,
        not sure why the PO had vents on carbs #3 and #4 blocked and petcock line on #2, but i'll install new lines as you describe. he also had a 6 inch crankcase breather line installed, and blocked with a bolt. that's been removed.
        bob p

Comment

The two float bowl vent ports at carbs #2 and #4 should be open to allow the bowls proper venting. Fuel wouldn't flow well with them blocked. If you have a stock intake, the ports should have lines attached and run under the seat. I'm not sure of the exact length on your 750 but the lines terminate right at the end (rear) of the air filter housing on a '79 1000. If you run quality pod filters the ports should be open but no lines connected. Running pod filters changes how the stock venting performs. If you run pod filters with the lines attached, you will experience fuel starvation to some degree, especially in windy conditions. Dynojet tells you to remove the lines in their stage 3 jetting kits for this reason.
          The port at carb #3 is to provide vacuum for the stock petcock. If it was blocked, it must mean that bike used a fuel valve from Pingel or ? that didn't require vacuum.
          If the crankcase vent line was blocked, the person who did that shouldn't work on a motorcycle.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Hillbilly float height adjustment.

Comment

Working...
            X