Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner

Hi I,m new to the forum and from the Uk..Please be kind👍👍
    I have a 1977 Gs750 had long term problem of firing on 3 cylinders and number 3 cylinder staying cold until after 5 mins of running time.
    Compression test shows 100-105 psi in all 4 cylinders.
    i found that some of the wire sheath had been worn away and missing in small sections of the wire from points to coils, so replaced the wires. Slight improvement in cylinder 3 but not much.
    Next stop I checked the carb settings I loosened the locknut on top of the carbs (after winding out the throttle tick over screw) and screwed all the screws in until they stopped, and then tightened the locknuts I now have no.2,3 and 4 getting hot immediately and no.1 just warm.
    Took bike for short run, very sluggish with a top speed of 70mph checked plugs and very black and sooty.
    Going to tune carbs tomorrow, and wind out air screw ( presently unscrewed 1 1/2 turns from closed.
    Any further tests you could suggest would be very useful.
    New coils, plugs (ngk8es) points capacitor, carb kit. Battery,
    Thankyou in advance.

What's the history of the bike? How long have you owned?

It's possible the carbs need a good, thorough cleaning. Also, you should check the valve clearances and adjust the clearance with new shims if the clearance is too small.

The work you described on the carbs sounds like an so so attempt at carb syncing. Typically, this is done after cleaning the carbs and preparing to reinstall on the bike. Once reinstalled, you should be a proper vacuum sync.

Read this guide to learn how to properly clean the carbs: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...rb_rebuild.pdf
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

#3 misfiring means your petcock is bad.
      Test by removing the vacuum line at the petcock and plugging the line
      Run the bike using the Prime setting and see if #3 doesn't start to fire.

You need to go back and properly sync your carbs
      Have you adjusted the valves yet?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I have been running the bike with a temp tank feeding the engine with no petcock,and vacuum pipe plugged, and as I have good equal compression i,m guessng that the valves and pistons are good.
        Hoping to balance carbs and get improvements will let you know.

Comment

you can confirm that the problem isn't on the electrical end of things by swapping #2 and #3 plug wires. if the problem moves to #2, you've got a coil/wire/plug problem. i had an intermittent short in a plug wire once, showed good spark against the engine but failed when in place. if original, i'd replace the plug caps.

once you've got a nice spark at all four, adjust the valves. having good compression doesn't mean your valves have the correct clearances.

the recommended carb tutorial is excellent! find the float height spec somewhere and measure them at the correct spot.
          really sounds like jet(s) or circuits are clogged, no amount of fiddling will correct that.

Comment

Guessing?

We use Ed's motto - to measure is to know

Adjust your valves, sync your carbs and see what you have then
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

All good advise Thankyou, I have balanced the carbs and now have all 4 cylinders firing.
              Taking bike for a run it feels sluggish so even though all 4 are firing good, the tick over and pilot side of the carb is not yet right.
              Next stop valves and maybe ultra clean of the carbs.
              Will I need to get shims for the valves or could it just be adjustment?
              Last edited by Guest; 11-08-2018, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey82 View Post
                All good advise Thankyou, I have balanced the carbs and now have all 4 cylinders firing.
                Taking bike for a run it feels sluggish so even though all 4 are firing good, the tick over and pilot side of the carb is not yet right.
                Next stop valves and maybe ultra clean of the carbs.
                Will I need to get shims for the valves or could it just be adjustment?
                Yes, you'll need to get shims. The thickness of the shim IS the adjustment.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

just curious, all four get quickly and evenly hot on start-up?

my project needed three shims. local dealer was cheap enough at $5 ea, the shim tool tricky to use at first.

Comment

Well Thanks to the carb clean procedure posted on this thread I,ve completely dismantled cleaned, renewed o rings etc and took the bike for a spin.
                    A lot better, smoother running at low speed, opened her up and lots of power, even though carbs weren’t balanced.
                    Running rich with the air screws turned out 2 full turns on each carb.
                    Plugs were sooty, but def getting there.
                    Thankyou for you help..
                    Ordered a Morgan’s carb balancer, rather than borrow one, will then balance carbs and will report back.����

Comment

Remember that the air screw only controls the idle mixture.

Where did you set the fuel screws?
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I set the fuel screw one turn open from the closed position if the bike is running rich after I,ve balanced the carbs should I look at changing these settings?.

Comment

Also, as others have stated, adjust your valves. The carb sync is no good without properly adjusted valves. Also, check the rubber boots and o rings from carb to head, and the airbox integrity and the rubber boots to the airbox. Boots are the only mildly pricey thing on the list, but when I did carb overhaul, valve adjustment, airbox overhaul, new boots and o rings, My '80 GS1000 went from aargh to wow.
                          Eastern Washington
                          1980 GS1000L No mods.
                          1997 Valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey82 View Post
                            I set the fuel screw one turn open from the closed position if the bike is running rich after I,ve balanced the carbs should I look at changing these settings?.
                            Again, those screws only affect your idle mix, so if you're running rich on other circuits, you need to make changes as needed

The standard setting for the fuel screw is 5/8 to 3/4 turn, so you're rich there.

Are you running the airbox and stock exhaust?
                            Last edited by Big T; 11-11-2018, 02:00 PM.
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                              Again, those screws only affect your idle mix, so if you're running rich on other circuits, you need to make changes as needed

The standard setting for the fuel screw is 5/8 to 3/4 turn, so you're rich there.

Are you running the airbox and stock exhaust?

Yes running airbox and stock exhaust, i did the compression test again this time the correct way (ie. remove all plugs and open throttle fully) I had 125psi on each cylinder.
                              i,m being told by people that if I have that sort of compression the piston rings and valves are good..����

New inlet and outlet carb rubbers and o rings

Comment

Working...
                              X