Airbox chamber blowby gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox chamber blowby gas

I have noticed while cleaning out the airbox for my 1978 gs750, that the chamber at the top of the airbox has rust flakes and dirt/oil residue inside. This chamber seems to be inaccessible and I'm only able to shake small flakes out through the blowby gas tube entry point. I guess that it would be best if this chamber was clean. Is there any trick to sorting this problem? many thanks. Mike.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 11-18-2018, 02:19 AM.

I had the same problem, and I hope someone can offer a better answer than I have. I just kind of dug around as best I could with a small bottle brush type thing and blew compressed air until nothing else came out. Still pretty sure it could be cleaner.
    Eastern Washington
    1980 GS1000L No mods.
    1997 Valkyrie

Comment

I had to get after it pretty aggressively with a coat hanger on both of mine. Put on some good music and grab a seat.

I gave it a good soaking inside with paint after it was clear, but that was probably a wasted effort. I didn't do any prep to get rid of the rest of the surface rust, and the paint I probably used didn't have any special rust-fixing properties.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Soak it with Evapo-Rust?

Comment

Yep, just do the best you can.

And yes, if that tube rusts shut, it's a problem -- pressure can build up and cause leaks.

To prevent recurrence, ride more. Ride lots.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give Evapo-Rust a try or diluted hydochloric acid. It would be good to see a diagram of what the inside of this chamber looks like. The nozzle at the top of the airbox seems to not be attached to the outer casing. There might be an internal chamber/filter of some sort.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2018, 04:41 AM.

Comment

whats under the lid

I removed the top cap off the gs750 air filter box. Being pretty sure it was bad, I wanted to find out the extent of the rust problem.

It looks like the sealed off area at the top of the box has been eaten through, probably aided by the blowby gas trying to escape as the passage was blocked with rust.
              The top of the box (under the lid) I have discovered, was not part of the air box circuit and looks like it's only meant to be a holder attachment point to the frame and a support for the blowby gas tube.
              Now that the blowby gas route has rusted through, the gas would not have been entering the air filter box but instead escaping out the gap around the blowby gas in tube.
              Thought I would post the pictures. Mike.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2019, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Wow! Every time I see rusted parts like that I get very thankful for living in a desert, and more importantly, finding a GS that has been preserved very well.

My hose came loose that connects to that vent and I noticed my clothes and the bike stank a lot from the gasses. When I stopped at a traffic light I smelled the gasses as well. If you patch that up I'll bet you'll enjoy the ride a lot more.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                X