Fuel bowl level minimum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel bowl level minimum?

I am not talking about setting the floats but rather if the engine will cut out with a half full bowl or so.
    The reason I am asking is because yesterday my GS550E decided that it would be better for me to walk than ride when I was riding down the freeway. While cruising along at 60 mph the engine started to sputter, it would come and go, and the engine would still accelerate when the throttle was opened. This went on for about a minute before the engine just died. Pulled it to the side of the road and set the fuel petcock to prime and cranked the motor for a while with different throttle positions and even tried choke, but not even a whimper of combustion.
    Broke out the tools and broke the fuel bowl drains open on both carbs, I let about a table spoon of fuel drain from each before closing them as I was afraid of a fire from the hot engine and exhaust. But the stream seemed healthy. Opened the fuel cap and didn't hear any woosh of vacuum. Checked spark by pulling cap#4 an watching a strong blue spark about half an inch long to the cooling fin. Tried cranking the starter a bunch, but no spark or fuel smell out of the exhaust either.
    Called for a ride and went home to get my truck. Come back two hours later and set up the loading ramp, not wanting to struggle up the ramp I try to fire it, and it starts up and runs fine. Loaded it on the truck and that where it is now.

Now I need to figure out what went wrong. What I know:

It had spark, at least on one cylinder.
    The bowls had gas in them, but maybe not enough, I really wish I would have let it keep draining.
    Whatever the problem is, went away by sitting.

One other thing, I put a clear plastic filter on the fuel line on this bike a week ago (I had the sputter a few times before so I figured it was debris from the tank plugging the carbs), I've probably have 200 miles/ 4 rides with the filter in place. Now when the bike stalled I tried to inspect the filter but it was dark and I only had the light from my phone, the element looked clean but I could swear it looked empty, even with the petcock set on prime. So maybe it was really dry carbs?
    Last edited by fbody_mike; 11-27-2018, 03:43 PM.
    1981 Suzuki GS250T
    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Most people will tell you that using an inline filter isn't a good idea since it slows down the flow of fuel. If you aren't getting fuel into the filter then it makes sense there's something going on with the petcock or the fuel line.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Yeah, my petcock needs a new filter/strainer but it is not sold separately. So I may just have to pony up for an OEM one, at least it is still available. I have not had time to tear it apart yet. But I agree with the added filter causing problems, if there is something that plugged up the works it will still be there and hopefully I can find it, and that will motivate me to order a new petcock.
      1981 Suzuki GS250T
      1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
      1985 Suzuki GS550E
      2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

So maybe that petcock strainer is available in the aftermarket. It is not listed for my 85 GS550E, but instead for a 86 VS700, but it sure look the same. For $8 shipped, I will find out. Still have to do some explorative surgery anyhow.
        1981 Suzuki GS250T
        1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
        1985 Suzuki GS550E
        2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Yup it was that inline filter that I added. It wouldn't flow fuel with only gravity pulling. I drained the tank and inspected the petcock, nothing wrong there. I put it all back together including the inline filter and opened the float bowl drain, no flow in the prime position. Remove the inline filter and fuel comes pouring out of the bowl drain.
          I will just wait for my petcock strainer to come in the mail before putting it back on the road.
          Beware of the added filter on these gravity feed fuel systems.
          1981 Suzuki GS250T
          1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
          1985 Suzuki GS550E
          2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Working...
          X