X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit the bullet and got a Delkovic

Or most of it...
    Delko downpipes, £169

But, they wanted another £135 quid for a muffler, so I went the way I've gone previously and got this to go on it...

A Hardly unused take-off from a Fat Bloke or something.
    For a mere £25 and the cost of making a link pipe.
    It will respond to my diy decibel killer if it has to.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

I have a Delkovic on my 81 750E. Ive had it about 2 years now and it's pretty decent. The fitment for the muffler took a little tweaking and piping seems a little thin compared to V&H pipes. But it's a hell of alot lighter than the stock exhaust and overall I'm happy with it. Turns a goldish hue after it gets hot and polishes up easy.
    82 GS750T
    81 GS750E
    83 GS1100ES
    # Misc Parts is always > # of Running Bikes

Comment

Originally posted by JS750 View Post
      I have a Delkovic on my 81 750E. Ive had it about 2 years now and it's pretty decent. The fitment for the muffler took a little tweaking and piping seems a little thin compared to V&H pipes. But it's a hell of alot lighter than the stock exhaust and overall I'm happy with it. Turns a goldish hue after it gets hot and polishes up easy.
      If you hit the inside of the pipes with some high heat paint it helps lower the amount of discoloration.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Be sure to give us feedback as time goes buy...
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Which bike is it going on?
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic
          1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

I'm ordering a Delkevic slip-on for my Bandit to replace the trashed D&D that is on it currently.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
              Which bike is it going on?
              The 1980 850.
              Just having a closer look at the Harley muffler that arrived today. It's different in structure to the Dyna mufflers I have on the XJ, so some tweaking might be needed, but a few rivets drilled out to remove the internals for inspection and modding is easily done.
              I'll fit it as-is, to see what the noise level and gas restriction is like as standard. It will probably be fine.
              ---- Dave

Comment

Grimly, a mate of mine has the same system on his GS1000S with a cheeky 2nd hand flee bay aftermarket can and the system works very well and is definitely value for money.
                Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified. https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by bobtail84 View Post
                  Grimly, a mate of mine has the same system on his GS1000S with a cheeky 2nd hand flee bay aftermarket can and the system works very well and is definitely value for money.
                  I was looking at the Chinese shorty mufflers on the bay of fleas and thought they'd probably be a bit too loud, but the price is very tempting.
                  The alternative would be to simply make a stainless tube and length of baffle tube wrapped with glassfibre mat inside it, with a baffle plate somewhere in the length, but with Harley take-offs being so cheap, it makes more sense to re-employ them.
                  What I'd like to get is a flange to allow me to use the 3-point bolt-on mufflers - there are plenty of decent quality ones on the bay for not much money.
                  ---- Dave

Comment

I've had the Delkevic header on my 1100 for about 3 years now. It did turn gold pretty much right away, but lately, I started seeing some really bad splotchy stains on the down pipes. The rest of it looked nice. I don't ride in the rain, nor do I touch it with greasy fingers (smearing shabby clothes, lol) so I don't know where they came from. I was a bit reluctant to take anything really coarse to it. However, whatever I did couldn't make it any worse than it already looked, so I took some expensive metal polish and a scotch brite to it. Lots of elbow grease, but it did clean up rather nicely.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                    Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      Or most of it...
                      Delko downpipes, £169

But, they wanted another £135 quid for a muffler, so I went the way I've gone previously and got this to go on it...

A Hardly unused take-off from a Fat Bloke or something.
                      For a mere £25 and the cost of making a link pipe.
                      It will respond to my diy decibel killer if it has to.
                      You can take the gloss off that muffler with some 600 grit paper, so it looks closer to the pipes.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

My V&H exhaust is 7 years old and with 36,000 kms (22,000 miles)....great quality!

No signature :(

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                          You can take the gloss off that muffler with some 600 grit paper, so it looks closer to the pipes.
                          Heh; time and tide will take the gloss off it soon enough.
                          The PO had a go at that already with a bit of road rash.
                          ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                            The 1980 850.
                            Just having a closer look at the Harley muffler that arrived today. It's different in structure to the Dyna mufflers I have on the XJ, so some tweaking might be needed, but a few rivets drilled out to remove the internals for inspection and modding is easily done.
                            I'll fit it as-is, to see what the noise level and gas restriction is like as standard. It will probably be fine.
                            I put Harley Sporster mufflers on my GL1100 last winter. Got a pair of new ones still in the box for $20. They look and sound great IMO
                            IMG_3295.jpg

Comment

Spent this afternoon attacking the muffler with a slitting disc and pliers, making a nice floral arrangement.

Then offered it up to the Delko collector to see what the line of fit would be.

Last edited by Grimly; 03-11-2019, 08:39 PM.
                              ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X