No announcement yet.

Bit the bullet and got a Delkovic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent a couple of hours filing and grinding the weld blobs from the inside of the silencer, so that it's nice tight sliding fit onto the Delko collector, and there's a good inch of overlap to seal with.. I did the first few by hand, but thought sod this, there must be an easier way.
    Dug out the Cheap 'n Cheerful air tool kit that I'd bought at the market yonks back and discovered an air die grinder that is, surprisingly, not as crap as I thought. The job went easily after that, but by 'eck it's a greedy sod for air demand. The compressor was running constantly for at least half an hour.
    I'd venture to suggest the compressor is well run-in by now.
    I cut the Hardly internals in half, so that there's still plenty of wadding and perforations in place, but ran a 10mm drill through the baffle, just because I could.
    Fitted the silencer, after having to drill and tap the Harley bracket to M10, from its funny UNC thread (I recall when those were perfectly normal, but haven't even got any UNF or UNC nuts and bolts in stock, nor had for years).
    The securing collar is temporary for now - a proper SS exhaust clamp is on its way, and the support strut at the rear can be re-done with something that looks a bit less hokey.
    The AFR bung is in the right position, too. Which is nice.
    Discovered that some toerag has nicked my Coppaslip.
    All in all though, it works.
    I'll start it tomorrow and see what it sounds like with half the guts it came from Hardly with.

---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Silencer?!? We don't ride big bore fours for silence!
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Looks good! I'd like to hear how it sounds when you're done.

Off topic question; what's that homemade looking bracket for, on the back of your bike? Is it a hitch receiver?
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
          Looks good! I'd like to hear how it sounds when you're done.

Off topic question; what's that homemade looking bracket for, on the back of your bike? Is it a hitch receiver?
          It's a full-time towbar.
          ---- Dave

Comment

Started the rebuilt 850 in earnest to see what the exhaust sounded like...

The phone tends to pick up the treble more than anything and doesn't really give much of an idea what it sounds like. It's a fair bit bassier than this, without being loud.
            The alarming rattles are things bouncing around on the worktop, nothing terminal in the engine.
            ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
            X