Carb decisions...BS36, BST34SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb decisions...BS36, BST34SS

So here's what I got. I recently picked up another 1100 (doesn't run, needs a case split) and noticed the carbs looked bigger than usual. After doing some research I found they are most likely from an 1150. Mikuni, 36mm, plastic round slides, 00A00 stamping on the side of the carbs. Haven't torn into them yet so not sure how condition is yet, but look in pretty darn good shape from first glance. So that's option 1.

Option 2 is I picked up some BST34ss earlier this year from I what I was told was a gsxr750 "dragbike". My guess is they are from an 86 GSXR1100 originally. Metal flatslides, measure 34mm, CV carbs. Not in the greatest of shape, pilots were stripped, kind of a hack job, but useable.

Now for engine I have been building is an 82 1100. Wiseco 1133 pistons, small end crank welded, welded clutch basket, stock head, with G3 cams, ape springs, and running a v&h sidewinder pipe with pods is the plan. I'm just getting the head done and it'll be ready soon. But the question is...

Which carb option? Will there be much difference between the two? Its going in primarily a street bike with maybe a couple trips to the strip a year. 2mm more of air/fuel goin in or are the flatslides goin to make a difference in rideability/performance?

I'm leaning towards the BST34SS just to maybe play around with em, plus I got some of the parts for them already, but if anyone's got any imput feel free to chime in.

Thanks for reading.
    Josh

Also adding pic of the 1100 I picked up :P
    Attached Files
    82 GS750T
    81 GS750E
    83 GS1100ES
    # Misc Parts is always > # of Running Bikes

I can tell you this, when I built my GS1100ES similarly to what you are building, I ran the stock style carbs at first and jetted them up to match the engine combo. It ran well. Always felt like there was more in it though. Bit the bullet and bough a brand new set of flatslides. Totally transformed the bike. More torque, more power. It really woke the beast up.

Comment

Working...
    X