78 GS750 Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS750 Petcock

I had thoughts to sell my GS750 to make room for a CBX that a friend of mine decided to sell...well the GS must have knew what was going on because I washed it, and while I had it idling and drying it off I noticed a strange noise from the petcock. Long story short the vacuum diaphragm has started leaking and created a vacuum leak. I confirmed with my wideband o2 that it is leaner at idle with the vacuum line connected.

So what is the best way to replace the petcock/diaphragm? I have heard of others having trouble with rebuild kits, but have also heard that ebay petcocks seem to be of good quality and last a long time. I don't mind buying an OEM petock, but saving a few dollars never hurts if it doesn't sacrifice quality. On the other hand, mine is still functioning properly it just needs a new diaphragm. Has anyone found a source for just a replacement diaphragm?
    The current garage:
    1978 GS750
    1975 GT750M
    1984 CB700SC
    1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo
    1975 RD250 - 350 conversion

Manufacturing methods change over time, so replacement petcock internals tend to be slightly different from 40 year old ones. Best to just get new unit and not have your buyer surprised by leaking gas.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

on ebay, there's georgefix's store. Match your petcock very carefully as there are many differences amongst petcocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
        on ebay, there's georgefix's store. Match your petcock very carefully as there are many differences amongst petcocks.
        http://www.ebaystores.com/GEORGEFIXS-MOTORCYCLE-PARTS
        All of the petcocks on his store that are listed for a GS750 have different outlets than mine. When looking directly at the petcock from the left side of the bike both the fuel outlet and vacuum inlet are on the left hand side. Is that factory or is it possible mine has been changed before? Maybe I will just go ahead and order the factory unit from Suzuki.
        The current garage:
        1978 GS750
        1975 GT750M
        1984 CB700SC
        1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo
        1975 RD250 - 350 conversion

Comment

Good call...buying a new OEM petcock.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by The1970's View Post
            All of the petcocks on his store that are listed for a GS750 have different outlets than mine. When looking directly at the petcock from the left side of the bike both the fuel outlet and vacuum inlet are on the left hand side. Is that factory or is it possible mine has been changed before? Maybe I will just go ahead and order the factory unit from Suzuki.
            Pretty sure you have the factory petcock. Mine was oriented that same way.
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
            X