Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chasing a sticking idle........Need carb help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing a sticking idle........Need carb help!

Just finished ultrasonic cleaning and replacing all the O-rings on the carbs from my 1978 GS750. I set the fuel and air screws back to where they were before the cleaning. (3/4 turn and 1-1/2 turns). Now the bike is very slow to start when cold, and when warmed up it idles around 2,000 rpm unless I "blip" the throttle, then it goes back down to 1200 rpm. Once warmed up, the bike starts fine and the choke will raise the idle to around 3,000 rpm when applied. I have ridden the bike a few miles and it pulls and accelerates well throughout the entire rpm range. Adjusting the pilot air screws do not seem to have any effect on the idle at all??? I have not synced the carbs with a set of gauges yet. My question is, will a carb sync cure this, or do you think that I have other issues? Any idea of where to start???
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Sync may cure the idle issue but not the starting issue. Did you clean the float bowl choke passages and make sure they are open? Check the choke pick up tubes to assure they are open? And did you replace the intake boot O-rings or better yet replace the boots entirely?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Replaced the intake boots, all O-rings, even the boots going to the airbox. Checked and cannot find any air leaks. Choke passages are clear. Choke increases the rpms when warmed up so I think the choke is working as it should. Guess that a carb sync is in my future???
      Ron
      When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
      1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
        Guess that a carb sync is in my future???
        What's with the ??? Of course you should sync, regardless of how it affects this particular issue. Maintenance is always good.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Anytime you rebuild the carbs or do a valve service you HAVE to do a vacuum sync.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

A carb sync certainly won't hurt anything, but probably won't cure everything.
            If nothing else, it ensures that each carb is pulling the same amount of mixture, so that adjusting the screws will actually make a difference.

How did you decide on your 3/4 turn and 1 1/2 turn settings on the screws?
            If your intake and exhaust are stock, the 3/4 turn on the fuel screws is probably close, but the 1 1/2 might be a bit too much, making it run lean. Running lean makes it act a bit like you are describing. 1 1/4 turn should help to get it running better, but that is only to get it to a point where you can do the fine-tuning. It runs better with a too-rich mixture than it does with one that is too lean. Of course, it runs even better with the proper mixture, but take it one step at a time.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hmmm, does he have VM or BS?

I had a sticking idle on my VM's once that was caused mechanically, not by an air-leak.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I set the fuel and air screws back to where they were before the cleaning. (3/4 turn and 1-1/2 turns).

They are VM carbs.

Roeme, what was the mechanical issue that you experienced causing the idle issue? Maybe that is something to look into.

Going to get gauges and do a sync in the next couple of weeks after a valve adjustment.

Thanks for the help!
                Last edited by 1978GS750E; 12-23-2018, 09:03 AM.
                Ron
                1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

all four evenly hot on start-up? i'd do a plug chop, to confirm a lean setting. if adjusting the pilot air screws does nothing (as stated in first post), idle circuit(s) maybe still be plugged. there's info on the web somewhere with a nice pic of where the carb spray should exit, when sprayed into each circuit.
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-23-2018, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Adjusting the pilot air screws do not seem to have any effect on the idle at all???
                    Yes -see above (per standswithbeer) because no effect? that's just wrong if the bike is idling 1200 or below-they should have effect.

Plugging very common I found...then broken tips and improper assembly of the tiny spring, oring and washer...

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                      (...)
                      They are VM carbs.

Roeme, what was the mechanical issue that you experienced causing the idle issue? Maybe that is something to look into.

(...)
                      The bit that connects the throttle shaft to the throttle cables got loose, which allowed for some of the plungers not to return to their idle position when closing the throttle slowly - blipping helped a bit. Sounds familiar, eh? Here's the old thread where I chased that one: Clicky. Scroll down to get a video illustrating the issue.
                      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Back to the original question: Check the routing of your throttle cable for any tight bends, sounds like it's hanging up and not returning all the way to the off position.
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                        X