Choke Kills Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke Kills Bike

Ok so this might be some obvious stupid mistake on my part but after cleaning the carbs (full strip down and dip as is recommended on this forum) my bike will start and run but any amount of choke will drop the RPMs. I know the bike only running on choke is a symptom of needing to clean your carbs, which was a problem I was having which is why I decided to clean the carbs again, now I am having the opposite problem. I can see the choke move and I'm sure it's pulled out. I tried to search this forum and google for anything obvious. Any Suggestions before I tear the carbs off to look for my mistake? I followed the instructions from Basecliff's webpage and even replaced all the orings again.
    1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Have you only started the bike or have you had a chance to ride it?

Knowing that you have just had the carbs apart, I would suspect something was missed in the re-assembly process or something is grossly mis-adjusted.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well I cleaned carbs on some bikes and afterwards there was no need for the choke to be used. They started just fine without it and ran fine. You may have just done such an awesome job that you made the choke pointless.
      :cool:GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Have you checked the valve clearance lately?
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I have check the valve clearance but i've put about 6k miles on it since then so maybe it needs it again
          1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

I rode it around the block a couple times, once with a passenger, runs fine.
            1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrhedges View Post
              I have check the valve clearance but i've put about 6k miles on it since then so maybe it needs it again
              I doubt it, unless you had them on the tight side of the spec. If it starts ok and stays running, then you have no need to use the choke. Ride it and enjoy it. No need to stress out over a none issue. Merry Christmas and go for a ride.
              Last edited by gsrick; 12-25-2018, 01:01 AM.
              :cool:GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Choke jets in float bowls are clogged
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  Choke jets in float bowls are clogged
                  2nd that. Very common for the passages in the float bowl to get clogged. Opening up the enrichment circuit with those clogged will only add air. A stiff fine wire poke along with some carb cleaning spray will usually open them back up. You should see a good stream of carb cleaner coming out the port when sprayed from below.
                  http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                  1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                  X