Fuel flooding or starvation/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel flooding or starvation/

I put my GS450 back together yesterday after doing some re-wiring. As it had been sitting for a while, I opened the petcock prime screw to on. The bike started (using the enricher as usual) and I left it idling for 10-15 minutes. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn the screw back. This morning started the bike again, no problems, but 500 metres down the road the engine just stopped and wouldn't start again. I then remembered that the prime screw was still open and after closing the bike still wouldn't start. Pushed it back home assuming that the carbs had flooded (no petrol smell at all though). So I thought could this be fuel starvation rather than flooding? Turned the screw out again and after a few minutes the bike started (wouldn't rev more than 3k) and stopped again. The fuel and vacuum hoses are both connected. So how do I find out if the problem is too much or too little fuel in the carbs? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    1981 GS450

Your petcock uses a screw for prime position ??..this is an 1981 bike,right? Anyways ,check this fuel valve for correct operation in "on" spot....

Edit...best to assume that gas found its way to crankcase when prime was left on, so check this before you start/run it again.
    Last edited by tom203; 12-28-2018, 07:14 AM.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Your petcock uses a screw for prime position ??..this is an 1981 bike,right? Anyways ,check this fuel valve for correct operation in "on" spot....
      Yes it is a 1981 450, sorry about that should have included it. I'm starting to think that I managed to leave a kink in the fuel hose when I put the tank back on, leaving enough fuel for idling but not when moving. Pushing the hose on to the petcock nozzle with one hand while balancing the tank with the other wasn't exactly easy.
      1981 GS450

Comment

Originally posted by ssco156 View Post
        The bike started (using the enricher as usual) and I left it idling for 10-15 minutes.
        Is this a "normal" situation or did you forget that you had started it?
        When starting, you will likely need the enrichener ("choke"), and you said that you used it. If the carbs are clean and adjusted properly, you can begin removing it within a few seconds, or about the time it takes to put on your helmet and gloves. It might still be on a bit when you get on, in less than a minute, and ride away. About the time you get into third gear, you should be able to turn the enrichener OFF. Idling for 10-15 minutes, especially with the enrichener ON, is not good for the bike.

Originally posted by ssco156 View Post
        Yes it is a 1981 450, sorry about that should have included it.
        You can fix that by creating a signature that mentions your bike. Does not have to be fancy, could be just "Current bike: '81 450". It would also help a bit to mention what letter is after the 450, like E, L, S or X. One more suggestion would be to add your location. Your use of "metres" and "petrol" suggest that you are not in the USA, like most of us are, so suggestions on vendors would be different.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The problem turned out to be a kink in the fuel hose; I re-routed it and all is well now. Thanks for the replies and I would like to wish everyone on the forum all the best for 2019.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Is this a "normal" situation or did you forget that you had started it?
          When starting, you will likely need the enrichener ("choke"), and you said that you used it. If the carbs are clean and adjusted properly, you can begin removing it within a few seconds, or about the time it takes to put on your helmet and gloves. It might still be on a bit when you get on, in less than a minute, and ride away. About the time you get into third gear, you should be able to turn the enrichener OFF. Idling for 10-15 minutes, especially with the enrichener ON, is not good for the bike.

You can fix that by creating a signature that mentions your bike. Does not have to be fancy, could be just "Current bike: '81 450". It would also help a bit to mention what letter is after the 450, like E, L, S or X. One more suggestion would be to add your location. Your use of "metres" and "petrol" suggest that you are not in the USA, like most of us are, so suggestions on vendors would be different.

1981 GS450

Comment

Glad you got 'er all sorted out. Here's to a Happy, Healthy 2019-Enjoy the journey!!
            '78 GS750E (currently undergoing TLC).

Comment

Working...
            X