Oldie not newbie-Float bowls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oldie not newbie-Float bowls

I just rejoined to solve debate/mystery. Got into debate w buddy who runs one man cycle shop. He is absolute master of carbs but. I told him of my 81 1000g I had in the 90s. When I got it one pipe was yellowed and it ran poorly when hot. I pulled carbs and noticed one drain plug was different color. Pulling bowls I found one bowl plumbed differently. Long story short-bowl was on wrong carb so one ran lean. Someone or manual I no longer have told me of base carb being the odd one. It ran fine after getting bowls switched. My buddy says he never saw any like that in his decades in business. I've surfed the web and this forum and only found one vague post on vs forum about bowl without holes. Chime in if anyone knows. Thanks,Guzzi John-Champlin,Mn

Can you explain what you mean by "one bowl plumbed differently"? A little more detail would help. On the surface it sounds like you may have a mismatched set of carbs. The bowls should be interchangeable between carbs of the same set on a 1981 set of CV carbs.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

No,it was exactly like I said-1 bowl different & 1 drain plug different color. The carb bodies matched the 2 types of bowls so when properly mated it ran fine. I believe the odd one didn't have the vertical hole down the wall of the bowl and the body likewise had no matching orifice. The bike was stock w 17k and the carb set didn't appear to have been split apart. I'm certain someone told me it was the base carb. Back then Id been riding w a road club for many years and it was probably another member that told me that.

Comment

Working...
      X