Petcock ideas needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock ideas needed

I have an 82 1100e I converted to look like a 78 gs1000. Its been a while since I did it but think i remember that I did use the 82 petcock and just drilled out the center hole more for it to fit. Additionally I had to cut part of the tail off of the lever to clear the carbs. (made a device that enabled me to turn it)

Anyway, now the petcock is not working correctly on PRIME and I am going to replace it. Does anyone know of one that is shorter or configured a bit differently that may work better in this cramped space?

pic attachedpetcock on 78 tank 82 bike.jpg
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

I can't offer you any real help, but I'm staring at my '82 gs1100e right now and can make some observations. There seems to be a world of room between my petcock lever and the left most carb. The lever is short, but I have no reason to believe it was shortened. In fact, the whole unit is much smaller than I recall on my '73 Kaw or '71 Honda, and much harder to move between the positions, so I only did so when necessary to go to reserve.

Here is a pic of my unit. I mean my lever. Make up your own jokes.
    image.jpg
    I know it's dark and small and upside down (my lever).
    Last edited by Rob S.; 01-08-2019, 11:08 PM.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

He said he changed his '82 1100 to look like a '78 1000. I wonder if that means he changed the tank.

If he changed the tank, the petcock could easily be in a different position, therefore too close to the carbs.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Exactly, i have a 78 skunk tank on it and changed all the bracketing to accommodate it.
        82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
        80 gs1000s

Comment

Thank you D. Yes the vacuum feature is important to me. I can make do with a shortened lever again, but I just did some searching and see they make an aftermarket petcock ($15)and has a lever like that on the gs1000, but have no idea if the body of the unit would stick down farther also.

Originally posted by D Roberts
          One could perhaps notch the carb cover. I think the BS 36 carbs used, for example, on the GS 1150, are stamped metal. Might be able to dimple with heat. Just thinking out loud. Then replace that disfigured petcock with a new oem unit if the vacuum feature is important in your application.
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
          X