Main jet thread too large.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main jet thread too large.

On the suggestion of the forum I've finally started to go and rejet the carbs from my GS1100.

I've not messed with motorcycle carbs ever really so I apologize in advance but I ordered some main jets from BikeBandit.

These came in a bag marked Genuine Mikuni parts however the thread pitch of the main jets is larger then the orifice of the emulsion tube (?) Where they screw into.

Additionally I found that carbs 1 and 4 had mismatched jets (107, and 115 respectively) so I can't be sure even the correct tube is in there.

My question is do larger mains always warrant a slide, slide jet and pilot jet change and also if there are different sizes of emulsion tubes that I'm unaware of?

Sorry, we are going to need a little more information.

It's nice that you have a GS1100, but what year and what model?

There were subtle jetting changes over the years, and the 16-valve engines in the chain-driven bikes had different jetting than the 8-valve shafties.

We will also need to know if you still have the stock airbox and exhaust, or if you have changed to aftermarket stuff.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

No, changing main jets sizes does not require changing any other hardware
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Sorry, I have a 1982 gs1100 L with a driveshaft I think based on the badges.
        Maybe I bought the wrong jets? BikeBandit listed it for the Bs34 however. The bike currently doesn't even start currently even when I hose out a carb with starter fluid. I doubt the pilot jets have ever been cleaned.

Comment

Do you mean the thread pitch is wrong...or the diameter? Ditch the starter fluid ASAP....and these critters don't need the correct main jet to start....they need properly cleaned low speed and "choke" circuits.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The entire diameter of the jet thread is larger however the screw face is the same diameter. I haven't gone to the pilot jets yet because I figured they might need changed as well.

Comment

You are working under the assumption that replacing the jets will make your carbs work.
              This is incorrect.
              You need to completely clean the carbs and replace the O rings

You need to go to this page and read all of the links

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ers-CLICK-HERE!!

Especially the link to BassCliffs site and the CV carb cleaning tutorial
              Last edited by Big T; 01-24-2019, 02:44 PM.
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I neglected to mention that the engine will fire while cranking at WOT however will not continue to run. The main jets are just one part of going through these carbs but I want to understand what the situation is with these jets before I put everything back together and forget something. Please be patient with me, my carb experience is basically only cleaning out a Holley 4160 once in a while.

Comment

Click HERE for the carb rebuilding guide.

Can you post a picture of the jets you have? And we still don't know about the airbox and exhaust situation to know whether you still need stock jets or larger ones.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

My apologies, I thought I had mentioned that someone put pod filters and a 4-1 header on it with no muffler.20190125_192621.jpg

It's hard to tell but the darker one (one out of the carb) is physically smaller.

Comment

You bought the wrong main jets

Clean your carbs, do the maintenance and see how it runs
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Rest assured they will be cleaned before being put back on the bike but the fact that i have 3 different main jet sizes across 4 carbs is no bueno. While I have these apart I would at least like to get 4 main jets of the same size and since I apparently bought the wrong jets then I have the wrong model of carbs in my head.

Does Mikuni stamp a model number on the carbs In any location? I've checked several spots and found nothing

Comment

Post up some pictures of your carbs and they will be identified by the group.

Stock will be Mikuni BS carbs
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

20190129_061122.jpg
                            Heres a pic of the carbs from the airbox side, I can get another one from the throttle side if needed.

Comment

Those are definitely Mikuni BS-series carbs, found on the '80-and-later bikes.

There is a model number. It is printed on the side, just below the cap. Not sure exactly which side, but it's there.
                              It's likely a 5-digit number on one line and some other information on a second line.
                              In your case, the 5-digit number should be 47160 or 47170.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X