I'm Stumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Stumped

After my month long tour this summer I put the bike up to fix some oil leaks. When I finally got it back together it seemed to run fine but after a short trip around the block it started dying with any throttle. I figured it was time to clean the carbs again because the bike sat (even though I thought I filled it up with non-ethanol gas) . I followed the procedure outlined on the forum and even replaced all the orings again (from the O-ring guy everyone recommends). Again bike starts fine. I run it for a bit. Even ride my GF around the block. Seems to be running normal but hanging a bit after I let out the throttle. I figure it just needs the carbs synced and maybe the valves checked. I go back a couple days latter to start it again and it won't start.

I check compression next. 135 PSI and each cylinder. Its sparking. I check the battery and decide to charge it after it's charged I use starter fluid just to see if I can get it to fire. Fires right up but again it dies with any throttle and the idle is all over, going up and down. Now to be honest I haven't checked the valves in a year and in that year I put atleast 6k miles on the bike. Could that be the issue? If the valves were off would that effect compression? Or is this still a carb issue? I guess I could have made some mistake with the carbs but I followed the directions.

I have checked the airbox and the airbox seems fine, I replaced the rubber around the box just to be sure.

I'm stumped!
    1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Check the easy stuff first. Did you try running it on PRI ? Vac or fuel line kinked ? Gas cap vent plugged ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      Check the easy stuff first. Did you try running it on PRI ? Vac or fuel line kinked ? Gas cap vent plugged ?
      I did try to run it off PRI, I should check the Gas CAP vent.
      1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Do your valve adjustment as it is time. How are the intake boots - do they show any signs of cracking or anything that would indicate a vacuum leak? How about posting the results of Posplayer's quick test here so we can see the condition of the battery/charging system?
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'm with bonanzadave on this.
          Sounds a lot like fuel starvation and that's real easy to check.
          Does fuel flow on PRI and how much ? Run it to a jar.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            I'm with bonanzadave on this.
            Sounds a lot like fuel starvation and that's real easy to check.
            Does fuel flow on PRI and how much ? Run it to a jar.
            Oh, it flows, it drips all over the sidewalk if I leave it on. So I'd guess its not a clogged vent right?

I have replaced both the intake and airbox boots recently. I will check to make sure they are all properly tighten.

The battery reads 12.55-12.6 just sitting, it reads 12.12 with the key turned on but the bike not running, running the battery reads 13++. So the stator seems to be working. The battery will drain to 12.3 after about 6 tries of starting it. Battery might be on it's way out, I have drained it down and recharged it a bunch of times now trying to troubleshoot.

Thanks for the help. Still curious if it's the valves and if that would effect the compression readings?
            1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the help. Still curious if it's the valves and if that would effect the compression readings?
              nothing in your original post suggests a serious valve problem...per your compression readings it's unlikely they'd all be equally mal-adjusted so much unless the cam chain has skipped.....but this
              Oh, it flows, it drips all over the sidewalk if I leave it on
              definitely suggests a fuel problem...specifically, the floats and needles or even a petcock diaphragm problem if it's from the petcocks vacuum hose.

I think you'll have to tear the carbs off and redo.... I always turn the carbs upside down and blow through the fuel inlet as a preliminary test (with more than one carb it's ez to tell if one has leakage potential versus the others) but bench test with a fuel tank attached before putting them back on the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                nothing in your original post suggests a serious valve problem...per your compression readings it's unlikely they'd all be equally mal-adjusted so much unless the cam chain has skipped.....but this
                definitely suggests a fuel problem...specifically, the floats and needles or even a petcock diaphragm problem if it's from the petcocks vacuum hose.

I think you'll have to tear the carbs off and redo.... I always turn the carbs upside down and blow through the fuel inlet as a preliminary test (with more than one carb it's ez to tell if one has leakage potential versus the others) but bench test with a fuel tank attached before putting them back on the bike.

I should clarify that it's leaks when its left on the PRIME position. It does not leak on the ON position.
                1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrhedges View Post
                  I should clarify that it's leaks when its left on the PRIME position. It does not leak on the ON position.
                  Float needles should be stopping that.
                  They could be worn or have dirt stuck in there. This would let the fuel level go too high and run the bike rich.
                  Could also be pressure in the tank if the vent is blocked. Rock the bike and see if you can hear a hiss from the filler cap.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by mrhedges View Post
                    For the carbs to overflow, you need to have TWO failures.
                    1. The petcock needs to flow fuel when not being asked to do so.
                    2. A float needle in a carb needs to flow fuel when not being asked to do so.

In the case of #2, it might be the needle itself or it might be leaking around the needle/seat assembly, probably due to a faulty o-ring.

In your case, you have shown that the petcock evidently does stop fuel flow, but you have one or more carbs that are also letting fuel flow.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X