Need help with choke cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with choke cable

I wasnt sure where to post this but I need a little help on my 82 gs850 project. The controls were trashed when I got it and I retrofitted a set that were off of an 83 gs300. They were basically identical, I just had to extend a little wiring but everything is functional.

My issue is the choke cable end from the 850 wont go into the lever on the controls. Are all gs choke cables the same? Maybe my cable is missing something on the end? Basically I dont want to order another 850 cable to have it not work. I've found some 300 cables on ebay.

I can see the 300 controls take the cable with the little cylinder piece on the end like the speedo cable has. The cable on my 850 doesnt have that. Should it?
    Last edited by Sparky; 01-27-2019, 03:34 PM.
    ---Eric

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
    Are all gs choke cables the same? Maybe my cable is missing something on the end? Basically I dont want to order another 850 cable to have it not work. I've found some 300 cables on ebay.
    First of all, NO, all GS "choke" cables are not the same. Have not done a count, but there are probably at least a dozen variations.

I looked up the part number for an '83 GS300, which happens to be an "L" model. The cross-reference chart shows that cable is only used on the '82 and '83 GS300L.

The cable you want for your '82 GS850 will depend on whether it is a "G" or a "GL" model. More-specifically, it will depend on the handlebars you are using, as many will change the "L" bars to something lower, which will be able to use the "G" cable.

The part number for the "G" cable is 58410-58121, which is superceded by 58410-47X00.
    The part number for the "GL" cable is 58410-45300, which is superceded by 58410-49X00.

Those two cables are used on most, if not all, of the four-cylinder GSes from '82 and newer.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you. Both the controls I have and my 850 are l models. My bad for not specifying. I did add lower bars as well. I will see if I can find "G" cables that will work as I'm planning on a new clutch cable as well.
      ---Eric

Comment

That cable is easy to find.

Just saw one on eBay (had to look carefully) for $24.99, with free shipping.

Found one at Parts Outlaw for $11.44. They usually have a flat-rate shipping of $9.99, unless they have a promo going.

Just so you know, many of us use Parts Outlaw which is the online branch of Deland Motorsports, because they are about the cheapest supplier of genuine Suzuki parts. Note that virtually all of the online vendors of OEM parts will take about two weeks to get the parts to you. They need to place an order with the warehouse. The warehouse will ship to the dealer. The dealer has to separate all their orders, then finally ship to you. Takes about two weeks, not much you can do to speed it up.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

So I'm trying to find a cable with the right ends on it and most of the ones I'm finding have a round plunger on the end that looks like it threads into a hole somewhere but the controls I have has a lever on the bottom of the turn signal/headlight switch
          ---Eric

Comment

The earlier models up to about 1981 had the cable with round knob located near ignition switch, but later models about 1983 had the lever at the bottom of the LH handlebar switch assembly, so you have to look for approx. 1983 model cable (not sure of the exact year when the choke cable changed, but hopefully someone that knows will chime in here).
            1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
              So I'm trying to find a cable with the right ends on it and most of the ones I'm finding have a round plunger on the end that looks like it threads into a hole somewhere but the controls I have has a lever on the bottom of the turn signal/headlight switch
              Take the lever off the bottom of the housing, you will see where the cable attaches inside.

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
              The earlier models up to about 1981 had the cable with round knob located near ignition switch, but later models about 1983 had the lever at the bottom of the LH handlebar switch assembly, so you have to look for approx. 1983 model cable (not sure of the exact year when the choke cable changed, but hopefully someone that knows will chime in here).
              Mentioned briefly in post #2, the lever-operated "choke" started in '82. I know for a fact that all the four-cylinder bikes got it, I don't think the twins ever did.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
              X