Stainless exhaust studs replacing bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stainless exhaust studs replacing bolts

OK. I think I've read the pertinent 2+ pages of threads dealing with exhaust studs but still need some guidance. I'm looking at purchasing this stainless set from amazon. Any objections?

Also I've read conflicting posts on the use of either thread-locker blue/red + ant-seize on the nuts. Or Use anti-seize on the studs and anti-seize on the nuts? There seems to be at least 2 very different schools of thought on this. Maybe there's no right or wrong answer? As long as the stainless bolts have something on them to help avoid a galvanic reaction between steel and aluminum? Or is that not possible with stainless? Or should I buy something other than stainless? If so, what? Not sure what to do.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 01-30-2019, 02:55 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Stainless studs are good. Use thread lock on the studs in the head, you dont want them unscrewing when undoing the nuts, other wise it defeats the object of fitting studs in the first place. Anti sieze on the nuts.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

thanks Agemax. studs ordered.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

They make the pipe harder to get on & off but no other objection from me....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          They make the pipe harder to get on & off but no other objection from me....
          I am concerned about fitting the beefy, finned flanges over the studs where they are close to the frame. I'll do some test fitting before I permanently install the studs to see if it's going to be a problem.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Yes, I went back to bolts but at that time I had a Yosh pipe fitted that meant I had to remove the pipe to change oil...
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              I am concerned about fitting the beefy, finned flanges over the studs where they are close to the frame. I'll do some test fitting before I permanently install the studs to see if it's going to be a problem.
              Do you have steel or aluminum flanges? The aluminum are beefier and may have a minor clearance issue that should be easily fixed with a bit of trimming. IIRC I think it's the outside two that are a bit tight against the frame tube. The steel ones are smaller and easily fit.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
              https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

I believe the flanges are aluminum. They have teeth or fins that are longer on one side and shorter on the other. Can't remember if the big teeth go up or down, probably up. Anyway, looks like it's probably gonna be tight to get these big flanges over the studs near the frame members.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                X