Eliminating the vacuum on petcocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eliminating the vacuum on petcocks

Some many moons ago someone ( Ed Ness maybe ) posted about how to remiove the vacuum feature and make petcocks simply manual ON / OFF. Anyone know that thread or have tutroial???
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Don't have a link, but can't be much harder than removing the vacuum hose, then just turning the lever to PRIme.

The downside would be no REServe, but what the heck.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve..bike is my 80 XS850 triple project. These petcocks are NLA and finding any NOS off Ebay is proving a worthy task. Fast forward to the K&L rebuild kits i put in less than a week ago. Leking pretty steady in the ON position, even more in the PRI position. Thus im wondering how to make them ON/OFF Manually. If they werent continuing to leak without the vacuum lines used I would be all set. But thats not happening. No vacuum and steadily dripping away.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Gotcha.

I was under the silly assumption that you were working on a GS.

Some day, I'm going to try to figure out why the success rate on petcock rebuilds is so low.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Gotcha.

I was under the silly assumption that you were working on a GS.

Some day, I'm going to try to figure out why the success rate on petcock rebuilds is so low.

The success rate isn't any better on the Concours 1000. After hearing of all the failures here and on the COG forum, I just replaced with new OEM.

Comment

It wasn't me that posted about converting petcocks. I did successfully rebuild the petcock on my KZ though. Kawasaki sells the OEM parts which makes all the difference.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

fixmybrokecomputeer....i foung one old stock petcock on Ebay for near 200 bucks nd this bike has 2 cocks. See why i would like to go manual?
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 02-11-2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Well until you figure it out, just get an inline fuel shut off. I've been using the black and red plastic ones for years, but they do leak after awhile(a year or two), but I found this one that is made for motorcycles, well that's what it says. It may last longer and if you place it where it isn't hard to get to, but still out of sight, it makes a good anti theft device. It's a can also be an embarrassment device when you forget to turn it on before you ride away.
                :cool:GSRick
                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

An old forum topic on the conversion:

There is another forum topic on the conversion that involves blocking off 1 of the 4 petcock body flow passages. Will post a link if I find it.

There is a conversion kit for the Kawasaki Concours. Don’t know if it fits any of the Suzuki petcocks.

Comment

Some years ago a Suzuki2Strokes forum member tried a rebuild kit on a GS1000 petcock. It still leaked & he figured out why.
                    Don’t know if there is some trick to correctly assemble the petcock that he wasn’t aware of, or if there was a problem with the kit he bought.

Details: http://www.suzuki2strokes.com/forum/...ic.php?t=11391

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Steve..bike is my 80 XS850 triple project. These petcocks are NLA and finding any NOS off Ebay is proving a worthy task. Fast forward to the K&L rebuild kits i put in less than a week ago. Leking pretty steady in the ON position, even more in the PRI position. Thus im wondering how to make them ON/OFF Manually. If they werent continuing to leak without the vacuum lines used I would be all set. But thats not happening. No vacuum and steadily dripping away.
                      Chuck, I rebuilt the one in my 750 a couple years ago. It did leak at first. I replaced the spring behind the diaphragm with a stiffer one from the hardware store and it fixed the problem. The little o-ring on the plunger of the diaphragm wasn't seating in the housing.
                      https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                      1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Polishing the O-ring seat may help. One of the big problems with the K&L kits though is that the parts are simply inferior to the originals.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

OK so I found this ( Googles great ). Im gonna give it a round and see what happens. Seems maybe if the handle channels and basic hole set up is the same on Zooky petcocks it may be of value for folks here.

最新av毛片电影提供最新的最新毛片av电影影片在线播放,并提供最新av毛片电影影片资源下载,快播影院免费在线观看。

Comment

It was Tkent and you basically just file the stop off the front plate so that you can turn the lever all the way around (thus at one point you find a blocked off part).

Seems to work well for him - I tried it. Didn't work so well for me but it will slow it to a "slow drip"....
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The Tkent thing didnt work for me either Dan. BUT..I did the modification as shown on the Yamaha Triples forum I posted and sure enough PRI is now a positiove shut off. ON and RES remain as they were. Now to see the longevity of the mod.

Comment

Working...
                              X