No announcement yet.

Eliminating the vacuum on petcocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an other option if you want to avoid problems..
    I'm an honest person and know what fits. The combination fits the gs450,gs550,gs650,gs750,gs1000. The adap ter plate is ha nd made, it is not cnc made. Each one of my petcocks have been custom fitted in the USA to fit the listed motorcycle.

Comment

And if i wanted that ugly abortion hanging off one of my tanks
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The stock petcock has those two little plastic inlet filters that are inside the gas tank. Typically when removing an old petcock, I’ve found that there isn’t much left of them, or at least one of them came off. This exposes the vacuum mechanism to whatever crap is in the tank.

An option that I’ve been thinking about is converting the petcock to manual. Then downstream use an inline filter that feeds to a Pingel vacuum valve. That way you have a modern vacuum valve that always gets filtered fuel. The Pingel inline vaccum valve is part # 9050-AV.

The Pingel is pricey. Don’t know if there are cheaper good options.
        I’ve read that some Goldwing owners use inline electric fuel valves. That might be another good option.

Comment

Had some info on those electric fuel valves…

Have no experience with a Goldwing. But I’ve read that hydro-lock from a leaky petcock is bad news given how powerful the starter motor is.
          Here are some links about that solution.

http://www.dan-marc.com/79-afc11112.html (The posts recommend using the unfiltered fuel valve because fo flow rates.)

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            fixmybrokecomputeer....i foung one old stock petcock on Ebay for near 200 bucks nd this bike has 2 cocks. See why i would like to go manual?
            OUCH! I feel your pain. I've got my silverwing in pieces again. It's got quite the appetite for money! Being a one year only model doesn't help!

Comment

There is a mod for the KLR very much like the yam one you posted except they put a rubber diaphragm between the new plate and the main petcock before adding the new plate. I guess that save adding that bolt maybe.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Chuck, I sent you a PM.

Comment

Been a few weeks and not one drip. Fix seems to work as advertised.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Has anyone used one of those electric valves on a Suzuki or other bike?

Comment

No..but i may add a bit on those expensive Pingle vacuum units. Many 4 wheelers and chineese scooters use them and can commonly be found on Ebay for 10 or 12 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
                        I’ve read that some Goldwing owners use inline electric fuel valves. That might be another good option.
                        I don't know of any Wings with electric fuel valves. I have one of the last carbureted models, and I have a vacuum-operated one. Why it's there, I have not been able to figure out, as it it mounted HIGHER than any other point in the fuel path.

The tank is below the seat, behind the engine. I don't know the exact routing from there, but fuel goes through the vacuum-operated valve and a mechanical fuel pump to get to the carbs, which are above the engine. Why there is a vacuum-operated valve is beyond me.

The four-cylinder Wings (from '75-'87) had pretty much the same arrangement. Starting in 2001, the Wings have fuel injection, which does not require any kind of shut-off.

The Kawasaki KZ1300 did come with an electric fuel solenoid. One of the popular mods was to remove it because it was unreliable. Had mine for 4 1/2 years, about 77,xxx miles, no problems with the valve.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                        X