Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000S sidestand / exhaust

Hi,
    Another little snag hit during reassembly of my 1979 GS1000S I'm hoping someone can help with...
    The bike came with a dodgy 4-1 but I managed to find a reasonable condition original set of exhausts which I fitted yesterday after a bit of head-scratching and swearing!
    The only problem is that there is no way the sidestand bracket and sidestand can clear the exhaust so I wondered if the bracket had been swapped for a different one at some point or was bent despite looking fine.
    Does anyone know if there were different brackets used for the GS1000 models over the years that could explain this clash?
    I'm pretty happy the exhaust is correct - stamped GS1000, fits perfectly and looks correct.
    Cheers,
    Andy

I don't know if the S exhaust is any different than the E exhaust, but I do know that the '80 S exhaust is different than the '79 system. I don't know if the mounting points are among the differences, though.

Are you sure that the bike is a '79 and the exhaust is the correct type? The '79 exhaust is longer and looks like the typical E system. The '80 setup is shorter, more of a 'megaphone' style, much like the L bikes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

78 E and C pipes are the same....stand is a stand.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Having done this a couple of times, I can confer the installation process is a real b!tch. Can't recall exactly what steps I took, but I know if you mess with it long enough, it should fit. That is if indeed everything is standard.

edit: I think I had to remove the exhaust to install the sidestand then I put the exhaust on without #1 header. Exhaust was loosely installed until it all lined up. #2 header where it goes into the muffler is right up against the stand on my E model.

Good luck, it is somewhat contrary to get it all lined up.
        Last edited by alke46; 02-18-2019, 10:06 AM.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Some photos showing the interference issues may help us direct our suggestions better.

When installing an exhaust I like to take the long muffler assemblies, sans extra head pipes, and position them under the bike. Then join them together at the crossover and slide them together as an assembly into the ports in the head. After you get them in take a look at the rear muffler hanger brackets to see if the bolt holes are lining up properly. The idea is to have all the parts in a relaxed state, no binding, at this point. If the crossover is inserted too much/not enough, the overall fit won't be right. You need to juggle with everything to achieve a good fit. Once you get a proper fit then you can tighten up the header bolts to pull the head pipes in tight to the head and crush down on the sealing donuts. The entire exhaust will shift backwards as you do this which is why you need the rear muffler hanger bolt in place but not tightened up yet. Once you get the headers torqued down nicely then snug up the muffler hanger bolts. Last step is to install the loose header pipes. Insert them into the muffler port and slide them back and into the head. Again, tighten the header bolts before snugging down the clamp under the engine. If you work carefully you won't have any leaks anywhere.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Another piece of the puzzle that I stumbled on was the #1 pipe and #4 header pipes are not interchangeable, they sort of fit, but if you got them mixed up it causes interference issues.

Good luck,

David.
            2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
            2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
            1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
            2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
            1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
            1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
            1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
            Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Thanks all,
              Reassured that it all should fit I spent last night taking the exhaust off and reinstalling the stand, then the exhaust as detailed with pipe #1 last.
              It worked and is all now back together.
              It wasn't even as hard or tight as I thought it would be so you're right it's all about the sequence of installation.
              Almost ready to try firing the bike up so fingers crossed.
              Cheers,
              Andy

Comment

Working...
              X