Choke cable routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke cable routing

I assembled my choke rod back based on the carb rebuildntutorial however my cable has too much slack to even be functional. Does anyone have a picture of how to route the choke cable ?

Cable routing diagrams can probably be found in the service manual for your bike on BikeCiff's website. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/. Bookmark that site. What bike, year and model? If you put that info in your signature, you'll never have to remember to add it to your posts, and no one will have to ask you before they can answer bike specific questions.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Dang i can't believe i forgot it again, its a 1982 Gs1100GL.

Comment

The route of the cable does not matter much on that bike. You have a thumb-operated lever, then the cable runs along the handlebar, then down to the frame, where it runs between the coils and down to the guide in the middle of the carb rack. The end of the cable goes into the guide, which then sends it to the anchor point on #4 carb.

There is (almost) no way to route it with too much slack.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Something just doesn't seem right, i only get very slight choke actuation when the choke lever hits the 10 o clock position which is obviously not enough to even make a difference. The service manual didn't show me anything i dont know already unfortunately.

Comment

Was it working fine before the carb rebuild?
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

No, the previous owner had the choke rod in the wrong way so the screws, while tight against the rod, weren't on their recesses. The choke plungers also didn't move far enough before i took everything apart.

Comment

Pictures?

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

possibly the cable is stretched beyond use? I doubt that though. And everything is working fine manually?
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Unfortunately i didn't take pictures before i took it apart, if you want current pictures i can get them by tomorrow. I might just have the hooks in the wrong spot.

I don't think the cable is stretched but without it having any tension on it it feels as though it is too long actually. All the plungers are working good.

Comment

The cable will not stretch. It is steel strands, and pulling on a very light load, there is just no way it can happen.

A close-up of the "choke" mechanism on the carbs would be great. Without removing the carbs, only a top view would be possible, but that should work.

Something like this, from whatever angle you can manage:

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Looks like I'm missing a couple of things Steve. Those parts never appeared in the rebuild tutorial though

Does the choke draw fuel into the diaphragm housing and by releasing the choke force the fuel through the venturi? Im trying to work out in my brain how the choke circuit functions but I'm wondering why suzuki made it retract under spring pressure. The only reason i can think of is that the choke diaphragms themselves draw fuel like an accelerator pump does on a car carburetor.20190330_143649.jpg

My apologies, i removed the carbs again do deal with a hanging idle. I have no filters at the moment so i had the misfortune do discover gas being blow out the front of the venturi when the bike idles. Unless this is normal i feel it's too dangerous to try and continue tuning. My previous bike, a V65 Sabre burnt down because of a gas leak.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2019, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X