Exhaust cross compatability (1100gk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust cross compatability (1100gk)

I scrolled through the first few pages of this forum and did a basic search on the topic and probably completely overlooked the already stated answer to this question BUT,

Is there a list somewhere of bikes I can look at in salvage yards for an exhaust for my 83 1100gk? I know the 2 550 exhausts I have in the shed won't work but is it a gk only exhaust? is it an 1100 only exhaust? is it 1100gk only? will other size bike pipes work? I am not quite ready to go brand new just yet.

Thanks in advance
    Doug

You need to look for '82-'84 1100GK or '82/'83 1100G.

Technically, an '82/'83 1100GL will probably work, but the shorter mufflers will end under your saddlebags and they sound "funny".

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ehhh I was afraid of that. probably not too many of those left sitting around. I guess I had better start saving up for an aftermarket one and learn a thing or 2 about re jetting carbs to match it.. and I thought I would be doing a lot of riding this year Thanks Steve!

Comment

Depending on what aftermarket pipe you get, you might not need to do much, if any, re-jetting.

Most of the re-jetting needs come from stripping the airbox and installing pod filters. In fact, some of the pipes even advertise no need for re-jetting, especially if you use the street (quieter) baffle.
        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

My 1100gl has supertrapp 4 to 1 from a 83 gsx750e header fits perfect and just had to make a bracket for the muffler

Comment

Delkevic is the cheapest of the exhausts available right now and says no jetting needed... I'll let you know when I finally get around to installing it and getting the 1100 running.

I got it for $300 in one of their sales....
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Your GK still have the side bags?

If you get some aftermarket pipes, the manufacture may not list the GK, but may list the G. That may be because the GK is so uncommon, or it could be the aftermarket pipe might occupy the same space as the sidebags.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

What's wrong with your original exhaust system?

Lots of old Suzukis are running around happily wearing OEM Harley-Davidson mufflers grafted onto the original GS head pipes.

They look good, they're reasonably quiet, and they're cheap or free, since for some unfathomable reason 99.999% of Harleys get the stock pipes replaced with noisemakers.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X