Carb, jets, choke and throttle assembly on 1980 gs1000g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb, jets, choke and throttle assembly on 1980 gs1000g

Amatuer hour question, first time rebuilding nightmare carbs (everything stripped and gunked up before I got to them). All ive really got left to do is the main needle jets, but my dumb question is how to get the washer on top off. Seems stuck in there pretty good. The only other part I really dont know and have been having trouble finding is how the brackets for the throttle cable and choke? Go on. I wasnt the one to take them off so I am trying to figure out how everything mounts and connects, and am having a hell of a time finding any pictures or videos. My background is more paint than mechanics.

Have you downloaded the official Suzuki Service Manual for your model? (It's available, free of charge, of course, through this site.) Once you've enlarged it for the screen or printer, quality gets a little fuzzy, so I purchased the Haynes "Owners Workshop Manual."

The print quality is better, but the page size is smaller, so keep your eyeglasses, magnifiers and night vision goggles handy.

Your third, and most valuable asset is this site itself. Free, expert advice, full color photos and videos. On several occasions members have sent me all sorts of parts at their own trouble and expense.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Go here for a full selection of manuals and carb rebuild tutorials.........

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Sometimes the parts fische can give you a good or even better idea on how something goes together, I use babbitts.com but any of the Suzuki parts outlets is going to use the same picture.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by Em9 View Post
          The only other part I really dont know and have been having trouble finding is how the brackets for the throttle cable and choke? Go on.
          See if this helps:

By the way, these carbs are not all that intimidating. Some of us can rebuild them in our sleep.

Feel free to ask questions. They are a LOT easier to handle than trying to fix mistakes.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            See if this helps:

By the way, these carbs are not all that intimidating. Some of us can rebuild them in our sleep.

Feel free to ask questions. They are a LOT easier to handle than trying to fix mistakes.

THANK YOU! I spent way too long looking for just a simple picture like that. I finally thought that was how it went on, but I wasnt sure. Ive had so much going on that I'm having trouble thinking straight.

Comment

Working...
            X