Choke cable differences and replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke cable differences and replacement

Alright, I've been rolling through posts for about three weeks now and haven't found just what I need to know so I'm gonna ask my stupid question of the day.
    I have an 83 GS750ES with the thumb-wheel lever type choke on the handle bars and on the carb rack the cable is the type that has the small bit'-O-metal crimped to the end which precariously fits in a notch (at least on my bike) in the choke slide which is flatish and rides in two grooves on the carbs. (Wish I had a pic handy..) The choke cable on the carb end has a 90 degree tube fitting that attaches underneath the carb hat/cover screws on I believe the #2 carb.

This 90 degree fitting/tube part of the choke cable is what has me stumped as far as replacing this cable. It appears to be a part of the cable and in order to replace the cable I need to find one that has this bracket on it. When I look at the parts diagram in the fiche it shows a straight cable with no bracket/holder/90 degree thingy so I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what the part number is for this. Or does that bracket come away from the cable some how. I'm afraid to monkey too much with the one I have to try to separate it because maybe this cable is no longer available and then I'm screwed. Can someone please enlighten me. Sorry for the lack of pictures.

I'm gonna go stare at the diagrams again until someone explains it to me and I'm not gonna stop until I get an answer. I may starve to death...but I gotta figure this out
    1983 GS750ES WITH UNI PODS, 4-1 KERKER
    We can rebuild her. We have the technology.

I just found that bracket listed as a separate part so maybe it does come off somehow.
    Strange though because the cable for my bike shows a long flat thing on the end of it.
    Is that the slide that rides in those grooves on the carbs?? and the little Bit-O-metal thingy on the end of mine is actually supposed to be attached permanently to that slide??

Comment

Are you trying to put this thing back together....missing some parts? Here's a setup on a 850 carb rackimage.jpg

edit..pm me if you like a bigger pic
      Last edited by tom203; 05-10-2019, 02:40 PM.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you answer yes to Tom203, try pushing a small straw, like one on a can of brake cleaner, into the 90 degree thingy while gently tugging on the cable. For some reason my cable never pulls out of there without fiddling with it for a while. The pressure applied wit the straw helps guide the cable out.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Are you trying to put this thing back together....missing some parts? Here's a setup on a 850 carb rack[ATTACH=CONFIG]57990[/ATTACH]

edit..pm me if you like a bigger pic
          yes that’s what I have im just a little confused about what the cable looks like. I’d hate to order it and wait to find out it’s wrong

Comment

I don’t think im missing parts but I’ll try the straw trick and see what happens. The cable is disintegrating up by the barrel on the choke thumb lever. I’m sure it has a couple cycles before it lets go. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Looking at a clearer picture i now see the flat thing i saw on the end is actually a transparent tube that probably inserts into the 90 bracket. Mystery solved. Lol

Comment

The cable should pull easily out of the 90° bracket (which is mounted on #3 carb), and should go back in just as easily.

To remove the cable, spread apart the two forks that hold the end to the #4 "choke" linkage, remove the cable. Pull on the sheath above the 90° bracket, the whole cable will just slide right out.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  The cable should pull easily out of the 90° bracket (which is mounted on #3 carb), and should go back in just as easily.

To remove the cable, spread apart the two forks that hold the end to the #4 "choke" linkage, remove the cable. Pull on the sheath above the 90° bracket, the whole cable will just slide right out.

Yes had a look this weekend and got her figured out. Now if I could just figure out how to get my fuel petcock to pass fuel through I'd be in business. It's been sitting for a few years and the petcock appears to be stuck shut. Probably the diaphram got stuck in the closed postion. I let it set a few day with clean gas in the tank and worked the lever back and forth from time to time and tried starting the bike to get some vacuum on diaphram to loosen it up but no luck. I really don't want to ruin it by disassembling. I did try removing the screws but it didn't act like it was going to separate willingly... Had this problem with a 94 GSXR750 and ended up buying a replacement from Pingle. I wonder if they make em for these bikes...

Comment

If you remove the screws on the diaphragm side, you can remove the cover to see if the diaphragm is stuck. There is a plunger in the center of the diaphragm that has an o-ring on it that blocks the fuel flow until it is pulled out of the way by vacuum. That o-ring can get stuck in place if it is not exercised occasionally. No amount of clean gas on the end of the plunger will unstick the o-ring, it will have to be done manually. When you unstick it, clean up the inevitable corrosion in the channel, re-assemble, test, ride.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yup, o-ring stuck. Put a new o-ring in and good as new.. for now. I made a silly mistake though. Once I got the gas to flow I started it up and gas started pouring out my pod filters onto the trans. This was strange because I had the bike running during the winter after cleaning and calibrating the carbs using a funnel on the fuel line to pour gas in the bowls. I had decided to put caps on the two bowl vents because having two outlets sitting there to collect dirt bothered me. UGH. Anyway, after undoing my stupidity the bike ran and I took it for a ride for the first time in about 8 years. I do love it. Reminded me why I'm putting all this time and money into it. The wife is excited too because I'll probably teach her to ride on it.

One more question not worth starting another thread for...
                      Anyone have any experience rejuvenating a set of the mercury type sync gauges. I've had my set for probably well over 15 years and I've always tried to keep them stored upright and undisturbed, but at some point I developed some gaps in the mercury. I'm just wondering if I should remove the mercury (which kind of disturbs me) and get new for it (I've seen it sold separately just for this purpose) or should I just leave it alone and calibrate each vial to one cylinder everytime I use it? I want to use it this weekend on this bike and my gsxr600. I would really like to get the type that uses the steel balls instead of mercury. Seems like it'd be so much easier to store and use. But no one stocks these tools anymore and I really hate waiting for shipping. Maybe I just need to learn how to calibrate my old set and use it?

Comment

Originally posted by EDGECRUSHER View Post
                        Yup, o-ring stuck. Put a new o-ring in and good as new.. for now. I made a silly mistake though. Once I got the gas to flow I started it up and gas started pouring out my pod filters onto the trans. This was strange because I had the bike running during the winter after cleaning and calibrating the carbs using a funnel on the fuel line to pour gas in the bowls. I had decided to put caps on the two bowl vents because having two outlets sitting there to collect dirt bothered me. UGH. Anyway, after undoing my stupidity the bike ran and I took it for a ride for the first time in about 8 years. I do love it. Reminded me why I'm putting all this time and money into it. The wife is excited too because I'll probably teach her to ride on it.

One more question not worth starting another thread for...
                        Anyone have any experience rejuvenating a set of the mercury type sync gauges. I've had my set for probably well over 15 years and I've always tried to keep them stored upright and undisturbed, but at some point I developed some gaps in the mercury. I'm just wondering if I should remove the mercury (which kind of disturbs me) and get new for it (I've seen it sold separately just for this purpose) or should I just leave it alone and calibrate each vial to one cylinder everytime I use it? I want to use it this weekend on this bike and my gsxr600. I would really like to get the type that uses the steel balls instead of mercury. Seems like it'd be so much easier to store and use. But no one stocks these tools anymore and I really hate waiting for shipping. Maybe I just need to learn how to calibrate my old set and use it?
                        There are several manufacturers now that produce needle style gauges that work very well. I bought a set at an autoparts store, but it would have been cheaper to purchase online. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/AlphaMoto-Mot...y&sr=8-1-fkmr3 Works great, easy to calibrate, easy to use, should last a long time.
                        1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
                        1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
                        Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Yeah, I see a lot of those on Amazon cheap. Knowing how much a good gauge costs I couldn't see how they could have four of them mounted on a bracket and have them be any good for 30-60$. But if you suggest them I might have to give them a shot down the road. I actually have two guages that were my dad's from back in his hill climbing days in the 70's. They are good gauges and if I could put together four of them I could make my own! Add another project to heap please lol

Comment

Just for fun, this is how she's sittin' right now..
                            IMG_2021.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by EDGECRUSHER View Post
                              Yeah, I see a lot of those on Amazon cheap. Knowing how much a good gauge costs I couldn't see how they could have four of them mounted on a bracket and have them be any good for 30-60$. But if you suggest them I might have to give them a shot down the road. I actually have two guages that were my dad's from back in his hill climbing days in the 70's. They are good gauges and if I could put together four of them I could make my own! Add another project to heap please lol
                              Never used that brand, so cant speak to their quality, but the one I bought works well, and I don't think I paid more than $70 for it. I've used it a grand total of 2 times in as many years so it may not be durable. It mostly lives in its box on a shelf in the garage.
                              1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
                              1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
                              Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Working...
                              X