No announcement yet.

Choke cable differences and replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a set of mercury gauges. I have removed gaps in the columns by VERY CAREFULLY using a syringe on the vacuum tube to PUSH air down the column to purge any mercury and air out. When you release the pressure, only mercury will come into the tube, so there will be no gaps. Of course, this assumes that you have enough mercury in the reservoir to accommodate all four columns.

I have all of the major types of carb sync gauges: mercury, Motion Pro "blue fluid", OEM Suzuki (with the balls) and a Morgan Carbtune. The "blue fluid" gauge has a leak in one column, so it does not get used at all. It has been a while, but I seem to remember that it needed to be calibrated/adjusted whenever it was used. The Suzuki gauge with the balls DOES require calibration before use. The Carbtune does not need calibration, just connect the hoses and adjust the carbs. The mercury set also needs no adjustment. In fact, mercury is the standard to which ALL other gauges are calibrated.

I used to have a set of analog (needle-type) gauges that I borrowed when necessary. They require calibration at least once, then with reasonable care, should be OK for a while. However, I got tired of the bouncing needles (even using dampers) and got a mercury gauge.

If I am going to be in my shop, I reach for my mercury sticks. If I am going to travel, I take the Carbtune.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X