83 gs850 pods and 4into1 (carb help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs850 pods and 4into1 (carb help)

So I have a 83 gs850 that I put pods on and it had a vance and Hines 4 into 1 exuast on it when I got it. To make a long stories short when I got the bike it did not run. After some work it did ,but just ok not great. That was last year this year I have added pods and continued to work on the running condition. As I'm sure you have guessed at this point it got much worse. To make this short version of a long stories even shorter I bought a stage 3 kit and installed it . (it ran very poor and back fired and after fired)then I bought a stock carb kit to see what was in a stock kit. After seeing what was stock vs. What it started with when I got it vs. The stage 3 kit I put the 45 pilot fuel jet and the 170 pilot air jet back in and it stopped back fireing and after fireing but still ran poor after 1/4 throttle. Next and after reading many articles on line I started the process of going up 1 size at a time with my main jets As well as jumping up 1 spot at a time on the needle jet. Nothing has made it better . while I still have some ideas it would be great if someone just knows what combination of jets I need to to install. It seems like this topic must have come up many many times on this forum. With that said I know many may say I shouldn't put pods on it. I am really just interested in hearing from people who have done it sucsessfuly as I plan to keep the pods on it.

Did you purchase a Dynojet kit? And what brand of pods? The real K&N brand parts are best. There have been a number of reports of generic cheap pods such as those sold by Emgo causing running issues because in some instances they block air ports in the carbs.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It would have been a lot easier on you if you had got it running nicely with stock airbox/filter setup before pod adventuring . Sounds like you got the dynojet kit...what size main jets are in one?..did you drill the slides ?
      Does it start up and idle nicely? As mentioned , beware cheapo pod filters.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

K&N pods are reported to be the best, with APE right behind them (at less than half the cost). Have not seen too many reports about UNI foam filters, so don't know much about them.

I am not going to pile on by saying "get it running stock first, THEN modify", but there is a certain amount of wisdom in that.

If you have good pods, the Stage 3 kit should be pretty much what you need. However, for a Stage 3 kit to work, you need to have CLEAN carbs with fresh o-rings. Other than the DynaJet kits (or the occasional 6 Sigma kit), you should not be using any "carb kits". You also need to ensure that you have a proper fuel level in the float bowl. An improper fuel level, either high or low, will affect all the circuits. Trying to fix one circuit to compensate will affect the other circuits in a strange manner, leading to some very puzzling questions.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you read a lot of articles, at least one should have told you that the main jet has zero effect until past half throttle. You can swap main jets all day and nothing will change off idle.

Your carbs are suffering from a lack of vacuum due to the pods.

No where do I see that you properly cleaned your carbs. Start with that, then reinstall the carbs with the air box and filter clean and sealed. Then, sync the carbs

What you're doing now is chasing your tail. Start over and do it correctly. You are looking for a short cut to cure all of the short cuts you've taken so far

Once you've eliminated all of your carb issues,swap to the pods

See the carb cleaning tutorial and the Top 10 Newbie mistakes from Nessisms post above
          Last edited by Big T; 05-21-2019, 12:32 PM.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks. I did use the dyno Jet stage 3 kit ,and I am currently using cheep pods that dont seem to block the pilot air jets. Also I did clean the carbs, synced the carbs and replaced all parts with new parts. How ever I did not replace the fuel tubes that link the carbs or there o rings. With that said I have ordered mikes xs 54mm pods (the k&n replicas or half the price) as well as a carb float level tool and height measurement tool. It will probly be a couple weeks before I have them but I will post the results when I install the pods and make sure I set the floats correctly.

Comment

You cleaned the carbs per the tutorial in Nessisms post?
              Did you replace the Parts with a carb kit?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
              X