Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pilot screw spring (idle mixture spring)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot screw spring (idle mixture spring)

Hi,

I’ve searched high and low but can’t find where I can buy a couple of OEM springs for my 81 GS650e.

People saying to use bic pen spring etc but I want them all the same, and I figure they must be available.

Schematic on the spares websites show a completely different set up, however I believe mine to be factory?
    Attached Files
    81 GS650e

Another picture for reference
    Attached Files
    81 GS650e

Comment

Show us your set up for reference
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks for the response, that top thumbnail is my set up. Mikuni BS32SS carbs. Also, the tip of the screw isn’t ultra pointy, slightly flat at the end. They’re all the same, is this normal? When I carefully wind them in without springs, spacer and o ring I can’t see the point extend into the carb body.
        81 GS650e

Comment

Originally posted by Gs650eAUS View Post
          Thanks for the response, that top thumbnail is my set up. Mikuni BS32SS carbs. Also, the tip of the screw isn’t ultra pointy, slightly flat at the end. They’re all the same, is this normal? When I carefully wind them in without springs, spacer and o ring I can’t see the point extend into the carb body.
          Here's a typical measurement from one off my bike. Aftermarket ones with spring/washer/oring are available . A pen spring should work ok, as it's just putting drag on screw

image.jpg
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks Tom!

I’ll try and chase a couple down. Pen spring should work indeed, but if I can find a couple I’d rather do that.

Like the 650?
            81 GS650e

Comment

I wouldn't think twice about substituting that spring, it's sole purpose is to put tension on the screw so it doesn't turn from engine vibration. It's not much different than using a lock washer.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Ok, thanks. Might look into it.

when I remove spring and o ring etc and gently wind them down until I get tension, I can’t these the tip of the pilot screw protruding on the inside, is this normal or should I see the point? (Are mine damaged?)
                81 GS650e

Comment

You might try a hardware store for a spring.
                  My local store has a good stock of them, fixed the kill switch on my DRz that way.
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Most likely will NOT see the point when the screws are lightly seated.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve,

They must be right then.
                      cheers
                      81 GS650e

Comment

If one of the tips of the needle is flat, it has most probably broken off. They usually end up stuck on the pilot hole in the carb body.

Make sure the tips are not still in there and replace any broken needles.
                        Richard
                        sigpic
                        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Would you have a picture by any chance? I think they’re all slightly ‘squared off’ and not pointy
                          81 GS650e

Comment

Richard
                            sigpic
                            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by Gs650eAUS View Post
                              Would you have a picture by any chance? I think they’re all slightly ‘squared off’ and not pointy
                              The ones that I have looked at are not completely pointy...more like the sketch I posted...slightly "squared off"
                              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X