Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A moment for clarification please

carbconfusion.jpg

In the above figure and description from the Mikuni Carburetor Operation and Theory from http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm It says an interesting thing about the front and rear of the carbs... Please help me.. Is the front of the carb it is referring to the air intake side...or front of the bike... because on the CV carbs on my bike the air screw is on the back of the carb as it sits on the bike but on the air intake side of the carb...

Thank you for your assistance.
    sigpic

Your carb has that screw on the front side, just like mine. The intake side, or back, has a larger opening.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Seems counterintuitive doesn't it? The airflow goes from back to front.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
        Seems counterintuitive doesn't it? The airflow goes from back to front.
        That's what I always understood... but lately I've actually been reading directions and manuals.... so I wanted to make sure I wasn't leaning when I was trying to richen and vice a versa....
        sigpic

Comment

Counterintuitive or not, all directions on the bike are made as if you are sitting on the bike, ready to ride.

The "left" side is under your left (clutch) hand. The "right" side is under your right (throttle) hand.

Yep, "front" and "back" do the same thing.

If your carbs are clean and all your o-rings are in good shape, start by lightly bottoming the pilot (mixture) screws, then back them out three full, 360° turns. That will likely be a bit too rich, but it will start easily so you can warm up the engine. Continue by turning one screw in until you hear the engine slow down just a bit, then back it out 1/4 turn. Continue with the rest of the screws. When you have done them all, go back, turn one in slowly until you hear the engine slow down, then back it out just 1/8 turn. Continue with the rest of them. It should be pretty close now. Note that they might not all be the same number of turns out now.

One other note, that picture in the link is not for your CV-type carbs.

I used to be conused by directions like that: "if it's toward the back, turning it out leans it, if it's toward the front, turning it out richens it ..." etc. It's a simple mechanical fact that turning an adjustment screw out will increase the flow of whatever it's controlling. Then, you only need to know what it's controlling. In your case, you have a fixed-size air jet and a fixed-size fuel jet that mix the fuel into the pilot mixture. Your screws control how much of that mixture is admitted into the air stream at idle and low-throttle settings.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, the front of the carb is the intake side.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
              Yes, the front of the carb is the intake side.
              if that's the take-away from the first 5 posts of this thread, then I am really confused.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                if that's the take-away from the first 5 posts of this thread, then I am really confused.
                I'm sorry...the carbs are installed facing backwards so the front faces the rear and vice versa. Hope that unconfuses everything.

Comment

Not really. They are not facing backward. The carb's intake is on the rear.

The front of the carb faces the back of the cylinder head.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I can see where people get confused on this issue. To me if a carb is in your hand or on the workbench the inlet side is generally referred to the front and the exit side is referred to as the rear. What the carb is going to be installed on at this point is irrelevant. On GSs the carbs are mounted with the inlet, or front, facing the rear of the bike. On my old FZ750 the inlet, or front, of the carb was actually facing up (downdraft configuration). It wasn't referred to as the top of the carb in that configuration. But yes, for absolute correct terminology we should use the terms inlet or outlet, but we don't always do that.
                    Last edited by Sandy; 06-09-2019, 12:02 PM.
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

You have documentation that supports this? Not everything is in reference to position of the bike, if it was good luck with finding the front of a battery without it being in the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                        I can see where people get confused on this issue. .... But yes, for absolute correct terminology we should use the terms inlet or outlet, but we don't always do that.
                        If you hang around the ICE (internal combustion engine) scene long enough you learn there are no absolutes with terminology. Things are referenced differently in different locals and context. One such difference nearly everyone is familiar with is trunk and boot. They refer to the same thing but the uncommon term sounds wrong to the individuals that are accustomed to what they consider the "correct" term (i.e. in america, a boot is something to put on your foot).

You could use inlet and outlet, but you would have to know which is which (i.e. how the carb works) first. So still prior knowledge is required. Another confuser would be wheels, what side is the front and what side is the back? if we refer to bike position? if we refer to position but on an automobile that has 4 wheels?

Comment

If you hang around the ICE (internal combustion engine) scene long enough you learn there are no absolutes with terminology. Things are referenced differently in different locals and context. One such difference nearly everyone is familiar with is trunk and boot. They refer to the same thing but the uncommon term sounds wrong to the individuals that are accustomed to what they consider the "correct" term (i.e. in america, a boot is something to put on your foot).

You could use inlet and outlet, but you would have to know which is which (i.e. how the carb works) first. So still prior knowledge is required. Another confuser would be wheels, what side is the front and what side is the back? if we refer to bike position? if we refer to position but on an automobile that has 4 wheels?
                          LMAO. Well we all know the side can't be front or the rear ...don't we??? Who's on first?
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                            LMAO. Well we all know the side can't be front or the rear ...don't we??? Who's on first?
                            Can a circle have sides????

Comment

Can a circle have sides????
                              Frontside or backside?

Comment

Working...
                              X