Exhaust studs and mounting questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust studs and mounting questions.

Did some rough driveway fitting today and have a couple of questions.

1. Seems like there's about a 1" gap between where the pipe bottoms out in the barrels and the exhaust pipe flange. Is that about right?

2. It looks like the studs that came with the new/used head I got are way longer than what I need. I see a lot of them available online. Any guidance on thread size / pitch would be appreciated. (I am a bit concerned that the place I got the head had tried to force in studs with the wrong pitch and they may have damaged the threads, but will wait and see.)

3. I've read the forum posts on exhaust gaskets. Planning on using OEM unless ya'll know a reason not to.

Thanks everyone.

exhaust.jpg

The gap in the photo looks about right for an aftermarket system.

Make VERY sure that the old exhaust gaskets are not still in there. It's MUCH more difficult than many people expect to see the old ones.

Longer than necessary studs won't really cause any issues, but if it bugs you, you can certainly look for shorter ones. I'm not sure of the length required, but the thread is M8x1.25; standard pitch 8mm. From way up here in Indy, they look fine in the photo.

This bike came stock with M8X45 bolts, so at a guess studs would need to be at least 50mm and probably more like 60mm long. Don't bottom them out in the holes too hard; there are some oil passages back there.

The OEM exhaust gaskets are fine; they're a sort of a ring of compressed carboardish stuff with a metal shell. The commonly available aftermarket gaskets are identical aside from color and work fine as well. I'd order a bunch and keep a few sets on hand; they're cheap and if you have to remove and replace the exhaust it's best to replace the gaskets.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Very helpful - thanks! Dan

Comment

Working...
      X